'53 Jubilee got spark-no fire

/ '53 Jubilee got spark-no fire #1  

glenn76

Tractor
'53 Ford Golden Jubilee NAA
I just had a 53 jubilee re-wired and purred like a kitten when i picked it up...sometime during transport the valve on the sediment bulb opened up and drained all 5 gallons out into my crank case...not good! Well, I pulled the plugs, filter, and pan plug...let it air out, put a new filter on, clean oil, replaced the plugs...it cranks, got spark on the plugs...but no fire-no start! Could this be a timing issue or carb issue...I have the trinity, fuel,fire, air...now im confused! If anyone has any viable advice as to why this baby isn't firing off, I'm all ears...i'll even take gap placement for points if u have em...there are alot of wise old tractor men in Oklahoma...but right now I think i have them all scratching their head w this one...uh, me too...HELP!!!

/ '53 Jubilee got spark-no fire #2  
G'day if it ran ok when you picked it up and the only thing that has happened is that it has flooded then i doubt you would have a timing issue, if you have got spark to the plugs then you have got enough point gap for it to run, my guess is it is still flooded, has the inlet manifold fully drained of fuel? Pull the plugs out and wind it over to make sure all the fuel is out of the cyl and then refit plugs fuel on and crank over with full throttle a small shot of ether will not hurt either have had to do myself on stubborn flooded engines. Hope this helps

Jon

/ '53 Jubilee got spark-no fire #3  
It seems your float stuck and drained all the gas. Did you do any thing to correct the problem. It could still be stuck and flooding the cylinders.
Bill

/ '53 Jubilee got spark-no fire #4  
agree with Bill, sounds like a carb flooded problem most likely the float still stuck. probably gonna end up replacing float to fix problem. Fords of that era are known for bad floats. $15-20 bucks depending on where you purchase and you should be back in business.

/ '53 Jubilee got spark-no fire #5  
I just had a 53 jubilee re-wired and purred like a kitten when i picked it up...sometime during transport the valve on the sediment bulb opened up and drained all 5 gallons out into my crank case...not good! Well, I pulled the plugs, filter, and pan plug...let it air out, put a new filter on, clean oil, replaced the plugs...it cranks, got spark on the plugs...but no fire-no start! Could this be a timing issue or carb issue...I have the trinity, fuel,fire, air...now im confused! If anyone has any viable advice as to why this baby isn't firing off, I'm all ears...i'll even take gap placement for points if u have em...there are alot of wise old tractor men in Oklahoma...but right now I think i have them all scratching their head w this one...uh, me too...HELP!!!

Hopefully you didn't have a lot of fuel in the cylinders because you can hydraulicly damage the rods if the cylinder has a big shot of fuel in it and tries to compress that.

If it ran well before you moved it up and IF you didn't mess with the distributor, the timing shoud be fine. make sure that you have the correct firing order since you changed the plugs. There is something wrong with your carb float valve to allow the fuel tank to drain into the crankcase that way. Either the float is hung or it's got a leaky float that's not allowing it to close. Rap the side of the carb with a block of wood to see if you can "un hang" it. if it still floods, you'll have to pull the carb and see what the problem is. If it has an Marvel-Schebler carb, they are very sensitive to float setting. Most of us that have that carb shut off the valve at the tank to prevent what happened to you from ocurring.

/ '53 Jubilee got spark-no fire
welp, i have to say, I like this forum, but there are alot of weirdos giving advice out there. Since you are one of the sane ones, I'll let u know what's goin on...I did put a shut-off valve inline right b4 the carb to prevent filling the crank case again. I'm still getting spark to all plugs...I checked firing order 1243..all right..i'm so bummed about this...I've had alot of vehicles with the bug and points...always adjusting..now just confused...I think cranking it over when the case was full of gas may have offset the cylinder with the firing order...do you know if the first cylinder should be up or down to start w the bug in place at the 1st point? I think im becoming more of a tractor mechanic than i really wanted to be :eek:

/ '53 Jubilee got spark-no fire #7  
welp, i have to say, I like this forum, but there are alot of weirdos giving advice out there. .... I think im becoming more of a tractor mechanic than i really wanted to be :eek:

If you're not enjoying working on it, take it back to the shop, weirdo. :D