engine wont crank

/ engine wont crank #1  

william mc

Tractor
cub cadet slt1550
i got a cub 06 super lt 1550 they said iust died on them would not crank when i got it home i removed the plugs it cranked just fine when put them in it would act like it had to much compression where should i start looking?

/ engine wont crank #2  
i got a cub 06 super lt 1550 they said iust died on them would not crank when i got it home i removed the plugs it cranked just fine when put them in it would act like it had to much compression where should i start looking?QUOTE]

There are several possibilities: Corroded battery terminals, too small cables or internally corroded cables, weak battery, bad starter.
I'd start by making sure the battery terminals and clean and not corroded. Do you have the OEM battery cables on it or did you recently replace them? Are they in good shape. look at the ends that go ito the terminals for signs of damage or corrsion Do the cables feel hot after you cranked the engine over with the plugs (glow plugs??) in.
Check the battery and make sure that it's not dying. Most auto parts store can check them for you. If that all checks out , pull the starter and have it tested.

/ engine wont crank #3  
Might check timing. It may have stripped timing gears, which would throw the pistons and valves out of sync.

/ engine wont crank #4  
What engine do you have? Some of the B&S single cylinder engs had problems with compression release and you may need to adjust/ tighten the exhaust valve.
Jim