allis chalmers CA pto shaft C snap ring, take off?

/ allis chalmers CA pto shaft C snap ring, take off? #1  

boggen

Elite Member
Tractor
SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester
pto shaft on allis chalmers CA, cracked in two.

the manual says "snap ring" but it looks more like a "C" but there are no tabs, holes, or like to get a hold of it. with exception on one side there is a little 45 degree angle. ((see attached diagram)) and for life of me i can not get anything to grab hold of and pull the snap ring out.

i have tried...
--pliers
--needle nose pliers
--couple different size regular snap ring pliers, both straight and 90 degree ends.
--ice pick / ale
--small and large size flat head screw drivers

i have the ...
--pto housing off
--hyd pump off
--part of the pto shaft, that i could slip through the back out.

extra info:
--the belt pulley shaft, will not come out, unless i get the rest of the PTO shaft out. to get at the large nut that holds the belt pulley shaft in place.

*scratches head* maybe i do not have the right tool. or just gotta figure out the right way to pull it out, just don't know. *looks aggravated*.

any help will be most appreciated! Thanks

Attachments

• snap ring.png
    snap ring.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 193
   / allis chalmers CA pto shaft C snap ring, take off? #2  
ford's have a ring like that on the pto shaft bearing backing it up..

I use a small screwdriver to get under the bevel and pry it up then over to the side.. then use another one to walk it out of the groove. foirst one I did took me 10 minutes fidgiting. now when I rebuild a pto shaft it's a 30 second affair.

you'll get it...

soundguy

/ allis chalmers CA pto shaft C snap ring, take off? #3  
Hello boggen. First I stop the snap ring fron rotating around the shaft. I'll grab it with vise grips, or drive a screw driver between the snap ring and the shaft. Then I put a screw driver under the taper, and hit the screwdriver with a hammer. This usually bends the snap ring, but a snap ring is cheaper than an hour labour.
Dave

/ allis chalmers CA pto shaft C snap ring, take off? #4  
no need to bend it.. it's made to run out of the groove without permanent deformation.. just use 2 small screwdrivers.. one stops it the other pries it up and over... hour labor? somebody's pullin yer leg... :)

soundguy

/ allis chalmers CA pto shaft C snap ring, take off?
i finally gave up on the snap ring. got me a sledge and a 1/2" rod with a point on the end of it. and just hammered the shaft straight through the gear that had the key in it.

need a new key, and a nut that goes over the pulley shaft. but o'well. the old part of the shaft is out.

poor key, got nicked up pretty good and lost its shape. and the nut took a pretty good chunk out of it. but after trying multi ways to get the snap ring out. it went past hassle, to absurd. at least i got frustrations out with the sledge.

now i just hope i can get the gear back onto the new shaft. without destroying anything else.

ya, same thoughts as rest of you. a couple screw drivers. but that snap ring would not budge.

ya it should of been 30 seconds, then it ended with an hour to hour and half. that is about time i posted.

/ allis chalmers CA pto shaft C snap ring, take off? #7  
wow.. can't say that I've ever had one not comeout...

good luck on the repair.

soundguy

once i got the shaft tapped a little bit. i was able to tap the shim back away from the snap ring. the snap ring moved a little in the grove. i just shook my head thinking *to late now*, then went heave ho a few to pond the gear past the key.

it almost looks like instead of putting in a bigger shim. they might have taken a thicker washer. cut a notch out of it, and twisted it into the groove.

/ allis chalmers CA pto shaft C snap ring, take off? #9  
wow.. again.. good luck on the re-assy.

soundguy