JD 5425 dry clutch needs adjusting

/ JD 5425 dry clutch needs adjusting #1  

Robert55

Tractor
JD 5425
My JD 5425 4wd, 2005 model, purchased new, has a dry clutch with a cable to the clutch pedal that has been adjusted once at 50 hours by a JD mechanic but even then the cable was too long. The cable needs further adjustment but cannot be made shorter, it is as far as it can go. When I step on the clutch pedal, the motor is not fully disengaged, and there is a whirring noise. What can I do short of taking the tractor to a dealer?

/ JD 5425 dry clutch needs adjusting #2  
If that cable is too long, it sounds like a factory defect to me. That tech (at the dealer, I assume?) should have replaced the cable, not just adjusted the free play.
This is one I would take to your dealer and let them (or the Deere regional manager) explain why there is not adjustment.

/ JD 5425 dry clutch needs adjusting
I noticed the clutch was not responding well about three weeks ago and when I went to adjust it, saw that it could not be adjusted(and it is very hard to see/work with) . I suppose I should have paid more attention at the 50 hour mark when the JD mechanic came out. Now the dealership is no longer in business. I have no idea who to contact now.

Robert

/ JD 5425 dry clutch needs adjusting #4  
I suppose I should have paid more attention at the 50 hour mark when the JD mechanic came out. Now the dealership is no longer in business. I have no idea who to contact now.

Robert

Yes, you should have paid more attention, but what's done is done.
Next step is to contact the nearest dealer and ask him to contact the regional manager.
If you have the original paperwork (from the 50 hour service), it might help. While you're on the phone with the dealer, ask about a service bulletin concerning the cable.

I spoke with a John Deere service manager and I am taking the tractor in next Tuesday. He said he MAY to able to replace the cable, which would be the quickest fix. If not the tractor may have to be torn apart, and then see what happens. A throwout bearing could be involved, lets hope not.

Robert

/ JD 5425 dry clutch needs adjusting #6  
Good luck and please give us a follow up.

Turns out the clutch is ok, still has 75% wear left. John Deere mechanic is replacing the clutch cable, but the whirring noise was from an input shaft bearing, which is also being replaced.

/ JD 5425 dry clutch needs adjusting #8  
Turns out the clutch is ok, still has 75% wear left. John Deere mechanic is replacing the clutch cable, but the whirring noise was from an input shaft bearing, which is also being replaced.

Thanks for the update!!
How many hours are on this tractor, if I may ask?

650 hours