Dead perkins....(ie, help...)

/ Dead perkins....(ie, help...) #11  
Just a Quick and easy test. Spray WD-40 in to the air intake (NOT starting fluid if it has glow plugs) while cranking engine. If it tries to start you have a fuel problem. Look for air leaks in the supply line to pump, check pump pressure, if pressure is low check pump timming. Some have a key way in the pump shaft that may have sheared.

I hope this helps

/ Dead perkins....(ie, help...)
Sorry late with any more info..

DarinRay : Idiot lights working fine, as far as I know, there is no safety switch OTHER than the need to have the forward/reverse selector in neutral. I have clicked it forward/backward and put back into neutral to be sure.

Amp762: My exhaust flapper was bobbing up & down as I was turning engine over. Other than that, (without spark plugs), how do you check compression? Do I take the injector(s) out and test there?

Bgott: I believe the injection pump is mechanical. I looked at it and there seems to be a housing that either has a belt in it, or since the housing is completely enclosed, I suspect a chain or gear. I am not aware of any solenoid switch (but then, maybe I need to ask my dealer !!)

Autodoc1: Hmm.. wd-40 into air intake... I do not know if this machine has glow plugs. I DO know it starts likity split every time. Probably within just a couple of revolutions.

Thanks again.. Tomorrow (Wednesday) I plan on tinkering to see if I can get it started.

Richard

/ Dead perkins....(ie, help...) #13  
I don't believe that it will have glow plugs. I have never saw a Perkins with plugs. As far as the attachment of the pump, it is all gear. Perkins don't have any chains and I would be suprised if the problem had anything to do with the gears or the pump.

/ Dead perkins....(ie, help...) #14  
It has a mechanical pump, that doesn't mean it won't have an electrical solenoid. Does the engine shut off when you cut off the key? When it runs, anyway. :) If it does, you have a solenoid. If you have to pull a knob to shut it down you probably don't have the solenoid.

I have to pull a knob to kill it. (I know, I just replaced said knob and cable this past summer)

/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I still recall the first time I ran it and it did not turn off when I "killed" the ignition... ALSO..when the ignition key is turned off, the transmission DIES!!!

seems the transmission is somehow electronically controlled and no key, no go. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

btw, I have made sure the pull knob is NOT in the pulled position

/ Dead perkins....(ie, help...) #16  
<font color=blue>I have made sure the pull knob is NOT in the pulled position </font color=blue>

Sad and embarassing memories as I sat on my tractor, turned the engine over and it failed to start. The mechanic listened then pushed in the kill knob and she started right up. I felt like an idiot.

/ Dead perkins....(ie, help...) #17  
No solenoid then. Try the WD-40 trick posted above and if it starts I'd then try rigging a small fuel tank to the suction line of the pump.

<font color=blue>Try the WD-40 trick posted above </font color=blue>

Roger That!

Will be out tinkering in couple hours!!

Thanks

<font color=blue>the WD-40 trick </font color=blue>

Just realized..I have a nice new can lf "Liquid Wrench" and not a drop of WD-40....

Does that make a difference? will LW work as well as WD??

/ Dead perkins....(ie, help...) #20  
<font color=blue>...will LW work as well as WD??...</font color=blue>

Maybe not the "exact/same secret recipe"... but should work... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

To be sure... use a shot of ether instead... just don't overdue it.../w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif