ford 1700 building pressure in radiator b4 it gets warm

/ ford 1700 building pressure in radiator b4 it gets warm #1  

ziptiekid

Tractor
1984 Ford 1700 4x4 and 1944 Farmall super H
My dad and I just bought a 1984 Ford 1700. It has the 2 cylinder diesel and today when we had been using it for about 30 minutes I saw that it was getting hot. We let it cool down and then checked the antifreeze level and it was about a 1/2 gallon low, so, I topped it off and put the cap back on and tried to start it. It was cool today so it didn't start right away. When I quit cranking I heard water running on the ground. It was coming out of the radiator cap. The water was still cool and there was alot of pressure on the uper radiator hose. I looked down at the overflow tube and someone had plugged it with a bolt and clamp. I cut it off and then it dripped out after it was started. I need some suggestions on how to fix this...start with the cheapest fix first please. My dad and I are new to diesel motors but, we are leaning towards a bad radiator cap, thermostat, or head gasket. Right now I REALLY hope that someone did't sell us a cracked block or head gasket issue! I would appreciate any help.....Thx...P.S. There is no oil the the water or water in the oil. And the cap says either 09 or 60 not sure of which way is up on cap..LOL

/ ford 1700 building pressure in radiator b4 it gets warm #2  
how many places you gonna post this?

soundguy

/ ford 1700 building pressure in radiator b4 it gets warm #3  
Hello ziptiekid. I'm not fimiluar with your tractor. It sounds like your blowing the coolent out of the rad. Some diesels have injector tubes, in them that go through the coolent, passage. These can leak, combustion gases into the coolent passage. Outher than that you most likely have a blowen head gasket. A quick fix is to dril two 1/8 inch holes in the thermostat, in the flat flang, not the center thing that opens, and closes. This will let the combustion gases out, insted of pushing the coolent down, while traping the combustion gases, in the head. You will eventualy have to remove the head. Check to see if you have injector tubes. Some times they can be chainged, with out removing the head.
Dave

/ ford 1700 building pressure in radiator b4 it gets warm
Thanks David...I have since found that we have a cracked head and blown head gasket...shopping for a new head...ya got one? ;-) Thx for your advice tho.

/ ford 1700 building pressure in radiator b4 it gets warm #5  
Sorry ziptiekid, I don't have any spare parts. Rotten luck with the head. Make sure that you check the head for injector tubes. When you pull the injectors out, the tubes stay in the head. Unless one cones out with the injector, you would never know that you have them. But then again, you may not have injector tubes. But if you do, replace them, at a machine shop.
Dave

/ ford 1700 building pressure in radiator b4 it gets warm #6  
just curious if you found a head..and if so how much was it....we just got a f1700 and had to have the block bored...it ended up being three times the cost in parts as compared to bigger tractors... thanks

/ ford 1700 building pressure in radiator b4 it gets warm
We ended up having the head we have repaired...it cost us $404 to repair the cracks and to do a complete valve job and resurface. We installed it using the help we received from this chat forum. It went pretty well. The best part about this was that when I confronted the guy who sold us the tractor, he said he was sorry we were having such bad luck with it and paid for the head repair....I have got nothing bad to say about him anymore. And yes, every part I have looked for on this tractor has cost 3 to 4 times the amount of a normal tractor....a new 2 cylinder head was $2300! Earley tractor in Cameron, MO has had every part we have needed tho. Good luck to you and your 1700:)