Submerged tractor

/ Submerged tractor #1  

No1umfan

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey ferguson 135
Oops! I did something very stupid. Accidentally drove my Massey ferguson m135 gas engine tractor into my pond. Was grading the slope and got a little to far down the slope and just started sliding into the water. Didn't thing fast enough to kill the engine. Got it pulled out but now I need to know what all the possibilities are about damage and what steps I need to take to get it running again. I did notice something strange when I looked it all over-the radiator fan is pressed up into the radiator fins. any help is appreciated.

/ Submerged tractor #2  
Air filter, or not?

If it was running without a filter, the first cyl that sucked in a load of water, probably has a bent rod.

If it has a filter, it probably smothered itself before it was able to suck any water in.

/ Submerged tractor #3  
First, pull all the plugs (you did write it was a gasoline fueled engine) and rotate the crankshaft by hand (use a wrench, but do not hit the starter!). If the engine locks (as you try to rotate it), don't force it....you might have a bent or broken valve.
If there is substantial water coming out of the plug holes, you probably did bend something. You'll want to visually confirm that. You may be able to drain the oil, drop the oil pan and see what you can see.

/ Submerged tractor #4  
Hello No1umfan. Pull the spark plugs. Rotate the engine, by hand, then spray a lot of penitrating oil in the spark plug holes.Check the oil for water, hi oil reading on the dip stick. If you didn't notice any problems turning it over by hand,then jog the starter, a few times. If you don't notice any thing wrong, use the starter to pump the water out. Ten RPM's should be good. Start it up at idle, and let it run until it gets hot, enough to get all the water out. I sank my 1941 Willys, once. By time I got pull out, all the oil had been replaced with water. When I got it runing, I had 10 lbs water pressure, [didn't have any oil left in it.]. I then had to drive it about ten miles, before I could have the oil changed. It didn't seem to hurt the motor any.
Dave

/ Submerged tractor #5  
Hello No1umfan. Pull the spark plugs. Rotate the engine, by hand, then spray a lot of penitrating oil in the spark plug holes.Check the oil for water, hi oil reading on the dip stick. If you didn't notice any problems turning it over by hand,then jog the starter, a few times. If you don't notice any thing wrong, use the starter to pump the water out. Ten RPM's should be good. Start it up at idle, and let it run until it gets hot, enough to get all the water out. I sank my 1941 Willys, once. By time I got pull out, all the oil had been replaced with water. When I got it runing, I had 10 lbs water pressure, [didn't have any oil left in it.]. I then had to drive it about ten miles, before I could have the oil changed. It didn't seem to hurt the motor any.
Dave

I know a guy who was engineer on a merchant ship. He told me if you run out of engine oil during bad weather you put water in it and run it until the weather gets better.

/ Submerged tractor
Air filter, or not?

If it was running without a filter, the first cyl that sucked in a load of water, probably has a bent rod.

If it has a filter, it probably smothered itself before it was able to suck any water in.[/QUOTE

I was running with the air filter in. Am I right in assuming that if I can crank it by hand smoothly I might be alright with regard to bent rods ?

/ Submerged tractor #7  
Air filter, or not?

If it has a filter, it probably smothered itself before it was able to suck any water in.[/QUOTE

I was running with the air filter in. Am I right in assuming that if I can crank it by hand smoothly I might be alright with regard to bent rods ?

I wouldn't assume (we all know what that means) anything.

/ Submerged tractor #8  
In regards to the fan, its designed to move a lot of air. When the media is changed to water, it will try to move the same amount of water, but bend and straighten as its running. Its possible that the blades have mearly bent, radiator moved, or even pulled the shaft out of the water pump. while it needs to be fixed, as well as the radiator, these are probably lower on the priority list.

/ Submerged tractor #9  
Is the front end damaged? How did the radiator end up aginst the fan? Broken radiator mounts?

/ Submerged tractor #10  
How deep was the water relative to the tractor? If the water was over the carburetor then you will have to remove the bowl and drain it. If the water was over the top of the gas tank, you will have to drain that also. I would remove the distributor cap to make sure it is dry inside and also to check the points and condensor to make sre they are dry as well.

Good luck