Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey ferguson 135

Default Submerged tractor

Oops! I did something very stupid. Accidentally drove my Massey ferguson m135 gas engine tractor into my pond. Was grading the slope and got a little to far down the slope and just started sliding into the water. Didn't thing fast enough to kill the engine. Got it pulled out but now I need to know what all the possibilities are about damage and what steps I need to take to get it running again. I did notice something strange when I looked it all over-the radiator fan is pressed up into the radiator fins. any help is appreciated.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    CT235

Default Re: Submerged tractor

Air filter, or not?

If it was running without a filter, the first cyl that sucked in a load of water, probably has a bent rod.

If it has a filter, it probably smothered itself before it was able to suck any water in.
    Tim.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

First, pull all the plugs (you did write it was a gasoline fueled engine) and rotate the crankshaft by hand (use a wrench, but do not hit the starter!). If the engine locks (as you try to rotate it), don't force it....you might have a bent or broken valve.
    If there is substantial water coming out of the plug holes, you probably did bend something. You'll want to visually confirm that. You may be able to drain the oil, drop the oil pan and see what you can see.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Silver Member
    Tractor
    1972 IH 454

Hello No1umfan. Pull the spark plugs. Rotate the engine, by hand, then spray a lot of penitrating oil in the spark plug holes.Check the oil for water, hi oil reading on the dip stick. If you didn't notice any problems turning it over by hand,then jog the starter, a few times. If you don't notice any thing wrong, use the starter to pump the water out. Ten RPM's should be good. Start it up at idle, and let it run until it gets hot, enough to get all the water out. I sank my 1941 Willys, once. By time I got pull out, all the oil had been replaced with water. When I got it runing, I had 10 lbs water pressure, [didn't have any oil left in it.]. I then had to drive it about ten miles, before I could have the oil changed. It didn't seem to hurt the motor any.
    Dave

Elite Member Redneck in training's Avatar
    Tractor
    TYM 330 HST with FEL

Quote Originally Posted by David-Davies View Post
    Hello No1umfan. Pull the spark plugs. Rotate the engine, by hand, then spray a lot of penitrating oil in the spark plug holes.Check the oil for water, hi oil reading on the dip stick. If you didn't notice any problems turning it over by hand,then jog the starter, a few times. If you don't notice any thing wrong, use the starter to pump the water out. Ten RPM's should be good. Start it up at idle, and let it run until it gets hot, enough to get all the water out. I sank my 1941 Willys, once. By time I got pull out, all the oil had been replaced with water. When I got it runing, I had 10 lbs water pressure, [didn't have any oil left in it.]. I then had to drive it about ten miles, before I could have the oil changed. It didn't seem to hurt the motor any.
    Dave
    I know a guy who was engineer on a merchant ship. He told me if you run out of engine oil during bad weather you put water in it and run it until the weather gets better.
    Ladia

Tractor
    Massey ferguson 135

[QUOTE=tcartwri;2307245]Air filter, or not?

If it was running without a filter, the first cyl that sucked in a load of water, probably has a bent rod.

If it has a filter, it probably smothered itself before it was able to suck any water in.[/QUOTE

I was running with the air filter in. Am I right in assuming that if I can crank it by hand smoothly I might be alright with regard to bent rods ?

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

[QUOTE=No1umfan;2307431]
    Quote Originally Posted by tcartwri View Post
    Air filter, or not?

If it has a filter, it probably smothered itself before it was able to suck any water in.[/QUOTE

I was running with the air filter in. Am I right in assuming that if I can crank it by hand smoothly I might be alright with regard to bent rods ?
    I wouldn't assume (we all know what that means) anything.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    John Deere 770, Bobcat 753

In regards to the fan, its designed to move a lot of air. When the media is changed to water, it will try to move the same amount of water, but bend and straighten as its running. Its possible that the blades have mearly bent, radiator moved, or even pulled the shaft out of the water pump. while it needs to be fixed, as well as the radiator, these are probably lower on the priority list.
    I've had a wonderful evening, but this wasn't it. ~ Groucho Marx

Tractor
    1530B

Is the front end damaged? How did the radiator end up aginst the fan? Broken radiator mounts?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC 29D

How deep was the water relative to the tractor? If the water was over the carburetor then you will have to remove the bowl and drain it. If the water was over the top of the gas tank, you will have to drain that also. I would remove the distributor cap to make sure it is dry inside and also to check the points and condensor to make sre they are dry as well.

Good luck
    TC-29DA
    BX-1500

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast