My Cub Cadet won't start and I need a cheap fix!

/ My Cub Cadet won't start and I need a cheap fix! #1  

agios11

Tractor
Cub Cadet LT1042
Two years ago, my mower (cub cadet lt1042) wouldn't start. Replaced the solenoid switch and it worked the rest of that summer and the first half of last summer. The middle of last summer, I mowed part of my yard, shut it off, and then it wouldn't start again. It would crank, but not catch. I didn't have money to fix it, so I let it sit through the winter. Now, it will not even crank. I turn the key to start, and it does nothing. The battery was checked and is good. I replaced the spark plug and air filter and nothing. Oil level is good. What would make this stupid thing not want to start? Would replacing the ignition switch help?

/ My Cub Cadet won't start and I need a cheap fix! #2  
My first thought is to check, clean, and tighten all cable connections.

/ My Cub Cadet won't start and I need a cheap fix! #3  
I had one of these mowers for about 7 years. In the last 3 years of its life it was notorious for the behavior you describe. In my case it was always valve lash out of adjustment; the starter can't overcome the compression in the cylinder when you try to start unless the valves are adjusted properly. It's a really easy fix, but it was annoying to have to do it every third mow.

Search the web for 31Q777 valve adjustment. (That's the Briggs & Stratton engine model number.)

Jay

Last edited:
   / My Cub Cadet won't start and I need a cheap fix! #4  
OOPS!!! I goofed. :ashamed:

I had a Cub Cadet LT1018, *not* an LT1042. The LT1018 has a 42" deck with a B&S 31Q777 engine.

Nevertheless, the symptoms you describe are exactly what I suffered with my Cub. I'd check the valve lash if I were you.

Jay

/ My Cub Cadet won't start and I need a cheap fix! #5  
When you have problems with modern day equipment...always start checking the lawsuit (safety) switches.

My Cub Cadet 50" i1050 wouldn't start (no crank...nothing) a few times last year. I checked the solenoid, battery, etc. and nothing found.

Under the machine near the electric clutch there are contact switches that when engaged, do not allow you to start the mower if the PTO in on, etc. Make sure these are free of debris and not bent. Mine was bent (probably from a stick or twig).

It solved my problem. Even my big tractor has had these lawsuit switch issues.

/ My Cub Cadet won't start and I need a cheap fix! #6  
cables, wire terminals, switches and safety switches.

jump out switches for testing.. etc.

:) I hope changing the air filter wasn't part of the electrical diagnostics! :)

soundguy

/ My Cub Cadet won't start and I need a cheap fix! #7  
Hello agios11. Get a set of jumper cables, go from the battery, direct to the starter, wire. Buy pass the solenoid. Does it turn over??? If it does You most likely, have a safty swith problem. If it doesn't, you may have a battery problem. If it doesen't turn over, touch the hot, jumper cable to one of the bolts holding the starter in. You should get a large spark. If you don't you have a battery problem. Next get some starting fluid, and spray a small shot at the carb, while turning it over, with the key on, and out of gear. If it fires, you may have bad gas, from sitting. If it doesn't fire, you have an electrical problem, with the spark system, or you could have a bad safety switch in the ignition system.
Dave

/ My Cub Cadet won't start and I need a cheap fix! #8  
be carefull and don't run anything over or make a battery explosion with the above directions..

soundguy

/ My Cub Cadet won't start and I need a cheap fix! #9  
be carefull and don't run anything over or make a battery explosion with the above directions..

soundguy
I agree.

David-Davies post is worded just the right way to get someone seriously hurt. (if they are unfamiliar with these types of things).

/ My Cub Cadet won't start and I need a cheap fix! #10  
yep....