Electronic ignition and carb

/ Electronic ignition and carb #1  

rbarn

Tractor
farmall b & Ford 601
Massey-Ferguson MF 65 was running but had sat for a long time. Replaced points and condenser with electronic ignition and overhauled carbuertor. Got good spark. Used initial setting on carb according to manual. Also replaced plugs and wires. Engine will not start. Occassionly tries to fire but !!!
Any suggestions?
Thanks

/ Electronic ignition and carb #2  
A chunk of carbon under a valve after pulling the plugs comes to mind that or possibly the gas is bad or not getting into the carb float bowl for some reason you didn't say whether it was new or not.

Check compression and add some oil to the cyls if its a low reading on one or all and ck again. W/o more info cant do much more than talk basics I assume the firing order is right. hth

/ Electronic ignition and carb #3  
Sure its not diesel? (just kidding)
Pour a LITTLE gas in carb and see if it starts, some time it just needs a little help....

/ Electronic ignition and carb #4  
If good spark then it is a fuel delivery or a timing issue. Look at the plugs after it tries to start and see if they are wet or dry. If plugs are dry then it is a fuel delivery problem. If they are wet then you have to sort out between bad gas, flooding or timing.

/ Electronic ignition and carb #5  
I vote for the timing being off. I had just put the petronox ignition kit on my Ford8n, before I bought my Kubota. It is still the best money I have spent on the ford. If it has gas, it starts then, not after 30 min of "tinkering" . JY.

/ Electronic ignition and carb #6  
Massey-Ferguson MF 65 was running but had sat for a long time. Replaced points and condenser with electronic ignition and overhauled carbuertor. Got good spark. Used initial setting on carb according to manual. Also replaced plugs and wires. Engine will not start. Occassionly tries to fire but !!!
Any suggestions?
Thanks

What's the spark look like? It should be FAT AND BLUISH-WHITE the color of lightning. Do you have it timed correctly? Is the firing order correct? If you don't have a spark, is your ignition unit made by Pertronix? Did you hook it up correctly? If so, did you by any chance leave the key on? If you did, you would have overheated the electronic module and it will need to be replaced. call Pertronix and talk to Carl, their customer support guy. He can send you the test procedures to check it out.
If you do have the requisite spark and the timing and firing order are correct, do you have adequate fuel to the carb? Open the drain on the fuel bowl of the carb, making sure that the tank valve is open. Fuels should CONTINUOUSLY gush out of the bowl drain. If it dribbes or is intermittent, you need to check for a blockage in the fuel delivery. It could be due to the screen in the fuel elbow at the inlet to the carb being clogged or trash in the screen on the tank valve/sediment bowl, dammaged fuel line. make sure the vent in the suel cap is not plugged. If you don't find anything in the fuel delivery system, it could be due to some clogging in the float valve itself.

You said your rebuilt the carb. Did you soak it in good carb cleaner and blow all all the passages and make sure they were clear? Cleaning the carb is the most inportant part of the rebuid, in my opinion. did you set the float valve per spec? Did you adjust the carb properly? If it has a Marvel-Schebler carb, the main jet should be at ~1-1/4 turns out and the Idle air needle should be out ~3/4 turn. You can fine tune those adjustments once you get it running.

Go through and check these things out,systematically (one at a time), and if you change anything, try to start it. If it starts, the last thing you changed was the problem.

/ Electronic ignition and carb #7  
You usually have to retime the distributer when you add one of these modules. It can be way way off.

Also, the first generation of the pertronix modules had a flaw that was fixed some time ago. Is this a new unit?

/ Electronic ignition and carb #8  
spray start fluid into carb and see if it will start on that. if it will start and run on start fluid, timing and spark are ok.

if it was parked running.. you couldn't have changed the timing too much to make it not pop at all unless you moved or pulled the distribuitor.

comp check comes to mind too.. might have stuck valves or rings..

soundguy

/ Electronic ignition and carb #9  
do you have good fresh gas in it? gas goes bad pretty quick nowadays.

/ Electronic ignition and carb #10  
Hello rbarn. The starter fulid is the quickist way to determon the problem. If you do a pressure test, and it's low. Some times your rings can get stuck in the pistion groves. As they go up and down, they remove the rust from the cyl. walls, and get jamed in the groves. Simple fix, spray fuild film [ that's the brand that I'm familuar with] in to the spark plug holes. Spray lots, and let it sit over night. It'll eat the rust out of the ringes.
David-Davies