John Deere 4200 Rear Diff lock repair

/ John Deere 4200 Rear Diff lock repair #1  

pollolittle

Tractor
John Deere 4200
Not sure If I'm in the right spot, but we'll see.

The dealer is quoting me 10-12 hours to break the tractor in half and tell me whats wrong at $70 an hour. He said the price would start climbing. Worst case scenario and it would be around $3500.

Which is different from the first dealer I took it too, who changed the oil and charged me two + hours for hydraulic oil change. He quoted me $5500 just to open up the rear end and start replacing items.

Anybody have experience with opening the rear end up and fixing this problem and how much? The three point hitch also is staying engaged at full lift, which I'm told you have to go by it to get to the differential lock.

He also told me my clutch was wearing out and the clutch pedal is out to it's limits, so I need a new clutch.

confused and worn out in Memphis, Tn.

Ordered the service manual today so will look through it and see if I can do this.

Any suggestions or comments appreciated, i think.

/ John Deere 4200 Rear Diff lock repair #2  
How old is your tractor in hours? In heavy use? In sleeping outdoors? Are you in a freeze/thaw climate? Happy to help, need more info.
Jim

/ John Deere 4200 Rear Diff lock repair
How old is your tractor in hours? barely broken in around 950.

In heavy use? mowing my yard and about three times mowing 10 acre pasture, not really heavy use.

In sleeping outdoors? stays up out of the weather under shelter.

Are you in a freeze/thaw climate? In memphis, tn, not really a heavy freeze/thaw climate.

It is the first year production run in 1999, bought it with 100 hours on it, the rest are me sitting in the saddle.

/ John Deere 4200 Rear Diff lock repair #4  
What is broken on the Diff. lock?
Also, what dealers have you tried? Just curious, I'm near you and I use Greenway in Marion.

Push the lever down and no engagement, one wheel still spinnning. From what I can tell from researching the web is the engagement piece is normally the culprit. One side is harder than the other and it rounds off the other side, leaving you with no way to engage the lock. Haven't opened up the rearend, nor have I had a dealer do it yet.

Tried the dealer in Somerville. Haven't been to Greenway, most of the service managers must know it is a big job, cause they raise their eyebrows and ruffle their feathers up even just talking about it.

/ John Deere 4200 Rear Diff lock repair #6  
950 Hours isn't much for a wet clutch, unless you've been riding the clutch. Is the tractor shifting OK?
BTW, do you have a sync-shift or reverser transmission?

As far as the differential lock...check linkages first although it probably is inside.

The kind of money they're quoting for the repair is getting close to 50% of it's value. You have to consider that...

/ John Deere 4200 Rear Diff lock repair #7  
Do you need to fix if just the diff lock?

Getting the tech manual that you ordered is a first step. A lot of the work getting at it is the busy work of "getting at it", and the reverse of putting it back together.

Any other problems other than the diff lock?

The
.. three point hitch also is staying engaged at full lift,
is just an adjustment of the feedback linkage on near the left side rocker arm. Lengthen it a tiny bit, but the details are in the tech manual that you are getting.

/ John Deere 4200 Rear Diff lock repair #8  
If you have some time, and a big cup of coffee (or maybe a beer or three!) I suggest you skim over this entire thread by dfkrug. Dave bought a wore out, abused JD 4300 from a rental shop and rebuilt the motor, tranny, and rear end in it. Lots of great info and good pictures too. You might pay close attention to the section where he repaired the diff lock on that tractor by squaring up the teeth on the difflock, rather than go and buy new parts for it. That was (and is) a great thread for the JD do-it-yourself'er.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/146974-john-deere-4300-complete-rebuild.html

BeenThere - I saw the adjustment you were talking about, I have to see if that cures it, it would be great if it did. One less thing to worry about.

Sometimes the FEL will lift like it is supposed to, other times barely move.

I know the clutch is wearing out, I have already adjusted the clutch pedal to the max and the trans still wants to grind when I try to stick it into gear unless the tractor comes to rest in the right spot, then it slips right in no issue. Sounds like the synchronizers.

Looking in the book for splitting the tractor I need the tractor stands at $690 bucks and the clutch tool for $498 and the ball extractor tool for $21. Anybody know where I can either rent, borrow, steal (just Kidding) or alternative methods for splitting the tractor.

Thanks for all the replies, looks like I will be tearing it apart. Now I just gotta figure out how to do it.

Kebo - I browsed through that post by dfkrug and wow. Seems he has different abilities than I with figuring stuff out and manufacturing what he needs.

RoyJackson - Even at 50% of value, if I don't fix it then it is 0% of value. Lets say I don't fix it, then what do I do with it?

/ John Deere 4200 Rear Diff lock repair #10  
Re: clutch problem: This is a long-shot, but make sure the transmision/hydraulic oil is at the correct level. With the tractor on a level surface the oil should be at, or slightly below the center of the sight glass. If the oil is above the center of the glass, it can cause the clutch NOT to release completely especially when the nose of the tractor is pointed downhill. (I experienced this problem with the new 4200 that was delivered to me 3/1/1999). After correcting the oil level, I never experienced any similar problems during the seven years & nearly 800 hours that I owned that tractor.

Also, if you have the Collar-Shift transmission it does NOT have any synconizers.

Good luck!