Repair Hole in Transmission Case

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #21  
I got it out with a small magnet. It's a 7/16's bolt about an inch and a quarter long. I'll get a picture on it this weekend. It came out intact other then being beat up. And I can find no damage to the gears.
Cool that you got it out. Next question is where did it come from? Gremlins in your tractor:D

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #22  
Oh boy am I going to get into trouble! I hope not, but....

It's doubtful that epoxy will be a permanent repair especially given the gears are still in the way. You can get the gears out, but that requires taking the transmission out of the tractor. Doing that is called splitting the tractor and is a fair amount of work requiring some serious focus. It will be really difficult to effectively degrease it with the gears in place.

If the housing is cast aluminum, you can have a plate TIG welded on the bottom that covers the hole. If it's cast iron you can do the same thing but use either silver solder or braze. Repairs like that require a skilled welder. The chances of a durable repair are better if you empty the housing and degrease it in a dip tank then weld it down instead of overhead, but again that means splitting the tractor.

Last, unless you understand how that hole formed,it may repeat. I would really want to know what that loose bolt was holding.

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #23  
It's too bad it couldn't be just flipped over on its back and weld it.....Done...

But that would be too easy.......:cool:

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #24  
Actually Ford Tractor, if it's alum, overhead TIG would work good if one side was jacked up slightly to allow oil inside to puddle off to the side, pregrind, degrease, weld and go....

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case
Cool that you got it out. Next question is where did it come from? Gremlins in your tractor:D

Good question on where it came from. I can only think of 2 things. It was left in the tractor from a previous repair that a previous owner did and it took 2 years for it to catch under the gears and punch a hole. I kind of doubt that idea. Bolt wasn't beat up that much and I can't see it flopping around for 2 years. The only other thing I can think of is it was dropped down the filler tube. That opens up a can of worms such as who and why.

The case is cast iron. I don't have the ability to weld that so my only avenue is JB Weld unless someone has a better idea.

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #26  
I would be tempted to think it is from inside the case to hold the gear box to the front of the tractor. If you have a inspection mirror look along the vertical walls of the tranny case for a empty hole or similar bolts

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #27  

The case is cast iron. I don't have the ability to weld that so my only avenue is JB Weld unless someone has a better idea.

cast iron isn't all that hard to weld with a lil prep and patience. drain oil.. clean well.. burn out the porous area with a torch, then weld in a small patch using 3/26 and a low penetration rod like a 6013.. peen and slow cool ( use torch ).. some rods like certanium can help.. or with high niclkle content. I've spent a few months practicing welding cast iron and have gotten real good at it.

heck.. brazing would be even better.

or the small patch bolted in with short screws and a bit of rtv...

lots of options..

soundguy

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #28  
You got lucky. I would clean it out good with diesel fuel or kero, then take it and have it welded. My local welding shop has the equipment to lift that tractor vertically and would be a easy permanent fix.

Get it down right or you will end up cracking the housing and will be in a lot of trouble trying to find another.

Chris

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #29  
Turning it over isn't all that hard for a properly equiped shop. If JB is your only option, then reach over your hip and grab that little square leather thing and pull out some of that green paper. Do some research, talk to people in your area and make sure you know who is best, and get it repaired right. The cost of that case alone is worth it, and splitting it and removing all the gears for a case replacement is more expensive, IF YOU CAN FIND ONE!!
Nothing wrong with JB, but you need insurance, so get it done right.
David from jax

If your not sure it is worth it, take a couple of hours and try to find a replacement case or complete transmission and that will help you decide.

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #30  
cast iron isn't all that hard to weld with a lil prep and patience. drain oil.. clean well.. burn out the porous area with a torch, then weld in a small patch using 3/26 and a low penetration rod like a 6013.. peen and slow cool ( use torch ).. some rods like certanium can help.. or with high niclkle content. I've spent a few months practicing welding cast iron and have gotten real good at it.

heck.. brazing would be even better.

or the small patch bolted in with short screws and a bit of rtv...

lots of options..

soundguy

At least this break is not in a high-stress area......I've also welded cast iron with high nickel rod (IIRC....MG250).....and it would be a good permanent fix