Repair Hole in Transmission Case

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #31  
Years ago the clutch exploded on my tractor and blew a hole in the side of my tranny. I brazed it. It seals fine. I can take a piture if you like. Mine is cast iron also.

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #32  
Heres a picture of mine fixed.

Attachments

• Picture 266.jpg
    Picture 266.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 382
   / Repair Hole in Transmission Case
Here a picture of the culprit. Doesn't look like a transmission part to me.

Attachments

• SANY0391.JPG
    SANY0391.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 206
   / Repair Hole in Transmission Case #34  

I have a suggestion for your hole in the transmission case. If it's not too big drill it out to the size of the nearest pipe plug . Get a pipe tap and thread the hole. When tapping the hole don't go in to far or you will tap it to big and you don't want the pipe plug in to far or it might interfere with the gears. Ran the tap in a little bit and then try the plug. If it is not in far enough tap it a little more. If the gears are close to the case you will have to grind the end off the tap. It means you will sacrifice a tap but thats a small price to pay. When the tapped hole is the right size apply some good pipe sealant to the pipe plug and install it. Use a pipe plug with an internal drive not a square external drive head. Like the kind used on oil galleries in engines. I have used this type of repair on the same type of problem before with good success. I agree with the others about trying to find out where the bolt came from. VE6IAZ

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #35  
i wonder how thick that webbing is down there.. I'm not sure a plug is gonna have enough threads to seal it, AND not interfer with the gears.. looks like less than 3/4" of room judging onthe size of the bolt and the fact tht it did punch a hole thru..

soundguy

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #36  
Actually Ford Tractor, if it's alum, overhead TIG would work good if one side was jacked up slightly to allow oil inside to puddle off to the side, pregrind, degrease, weld and go....

If that casting was aluminum (which it isn't according to the OP), it would be way too contaminated with years of oil bathing in it. It would require disassembly and vapor degreasing (ultrsonic cleaning would be good too, after the vapor degrease).

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #37  

No it doesn't...maybe a bolt off a cover plate or something like that.
Probably been adrift inside the case for quite a while...

Heres a picture of mine fixed.

That's a good repair, knightrider!!!

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #38  
If that casting was aluminum (which it isn't according to the OP), it would be way too contaminated with years of oil bathing in it. It would require disassembly and vapor degreasing (ultrsonic cleaning would be good too, after the vapor degrease).

True, .......degrease, pregrind and acid treatment would've been the route if it was alum....but you're right, disassembly would certainly be on the menu for the perfect repair....

Years ago I bought a used lawn mower, the first time I used it I managed to clip a rock and chuck out the bottom alum housing about the size of a quarter.......in total disgust in myself I hiked it up on the back of the pickup and drove to work, flipped it over and heliarced it in place upside down in place......amazingly it ran for me for another 7 or 8 years......was it the right way to do it?..No....but I was so mad at my dumb stupidity.....How that thing ever held motor oil afterwards was just $h1T luck........:laughing: