Repair Hole in Transmission Case

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #1  

Marada

Tractor
Iseki 1700F
I have an Iseki 1700TU. Been a good running tractor however this winter while I was using it, a leak developed. After it warmed up to where I could get outside for longer then 5 minutes I found that I had a hole in the bottom of the transmission case. It looked like there was a bolt laying inside the case, across the hole. I tried to fish it out but no luck. I've attached a picture. Since it was still cold outside I decided to wait till it warmed up. Today was the 1st warm day and so figured I'd remove the top of the transmission housing to see what I could do. JB Weld figures high on the fixes right now. Anyway, 1st problem. I need to remove the shifter and I'm not having any luck. I've attached a picture of the shifter. There appears to be a bolt holding the shifter to the transmission shaft. I loosened it and tapped it with a hammer but it wouldn't budge. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• trac 001 (Medium).jpg
    trac 001 (Medium).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,528
  • trac 002 (Medium).jpg
    trac 002 (Medium).jpg
    89 KB · Views: 643
   / Repair Hole in Transmission Case #2  
Soak that shifter with penetrating oil over night..I would think the bolt-threaded part would have to be drove out to the other end to get it off of the shaft.. the case holds oil I assume..you have a serious problem there if it does..

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #3  
Not sure about the shifter but to fix the hole i would be temped to cut a plate and to drill and tap four holes to fix it then screw it in place with gasket sealer

Oh and don't forget to find out where the bolt came from otherwize the hole in the case could be the least of your problems

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case
Not sure about the shifter but to fix the hole i would be temped to cut a plate and to drill and tap four holes to fix it then screw it in place with gasket sealer

Oh and don't forget to find out where the bolt came from otherwize the hole in the case could be the least of your problems

Thats why I'm trying to remove the transmission cover. Get the object out and see if something broke inside or if somehow a bolt got dropped into the filler tube. My plan was to use JB Weld to fill the hole then a plate underneath to add addition strength.

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #5  
That bolt with the nut and washers has to be removed to get the shifter off. It probably has a groove in the vertical rod that the shifter sits on. The bolt fits passes through that groove

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #6  
like every one said pop the bolt and a pitman arm puller or tie rod puller (not pickle fork)should pop it off.

Hurrah, got the shifter off. Patience, WD40 and time. So here is what I'm up against. I've attached a picture showing where the hole is and the only way I can access the bottom of the housing. I probed the hole with a piece of wire and can hear the object moving around. So I guess I'll go buy a flexible magnet or parts grabber and see if I can pull it out. If I'm not able too, can the gears be removed?
The gears look to be in good shape. From what I see it appears that the top had been off before because I see some kind of sealent running down the inside of the case. Makes me think that whoever worked on it dropped a bolt and never got it out. Finally it got caught between the housing and gear.

Attachments

• trac 003 (Medium).jpg
    trac 003 (Medium).jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 586
   / Repair Hole in Transmission Case #8  
Is it possible to rotate all the gears closest to the hole and inspect them closely to make sure no teeth are damaged? Maybe the bolt got wedged between a geartooth and the housing somehow and tried to push through the housing?

I tried to rotate the bottom gears but had no luck. I figure their coupled to the engine and PTO. If there is damage it would have to be 1 or 2 teeth on the bottom.

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #10  
Is this a machine you've owned for a while? Are you the only operator? A casting pop that size would make some noise, plus the gush of oil onto the ground would be obvious?
Magnetic retreivers are pretty cheap, look for one that's flexible near the magnet - looks like that's where you need it. The magnet is good for chips, too. Do you think ice could have busted the casing (I don't)?
I agree it looks like something got caught between a gear and the case, and good luck finding it.
Jim