8N clutch plate issue

/ 8N clutch plate issue #1  

fibrostic

I have been doing some research on how to get my clutch working better on my 48 8N. The clutch takes between 3 seconds an 1 minute after i push the clutch pedal for the clutch to engage (disengage?) so i can change gears or put it in gear. I think the strategy in the below post would help, but i am unsure exactly where to put this hole and where to spray the cleaner. Any help, pics, videos on the subject out there? Youtube has been super helpful but i came up blank on this one.

Ford 9N, 2N & 8N Discussion Board - Fix for sticking clutch

/ 8N clutch plate issue #2  
you can pull the starter and block the clutch and then hose the clutch down with carb cleaner and a straw.. rotate with a screwdriver.. etc. sacrifice 2-3 cheap cans.. cost you 10$ from walmart.

then.. BLOCK THE CLUTCH when not in use.. that alone will help most of the problem with a wet disc..

real fix is a new clutch and new 3$ tront tranny input shaft seal.. ( or rear main ).. as those are the usualy culprets of wet clutches.

make sure the drain hold inthe bellhousing with the cotter key is open and can drain.

soundguy

/ 8N clutch plate issue
Any chance someone can give me pictures of what i should be removing and spraying?

/ 8N clutch plate issue #4  
the starter should be blaringly obvious.. but I'll dig up a pic of one somewhere...

it's the thing with the heavy wire going to it from the battery.. :)

ok.. here's a pic from a parts seller I use. the big black part is what you will see. it's on the left side, installed into the tranny bellhousing .. 2 LONG BOLTS HOLD IT IN.. remove those and then angle the starter toward the block and down slightly so that the shaft sliding out is angled away from the tractor at about the 2 ocolck position.. this will let the drive gear slip over the ring gear.. the ring gear as you know is on the flywheel.. and thus you now know the location of the clutch.. etc.

if this doesn't make sense.. i sugest you HIRE someone to fix your tractor...

soundguy

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 150
   / 8N clutch plate issue
thanks i will give this a shot this evening.

/ 8N clutch plate issue #6  
ps.. forgo to mention.. the outter shell of the starter can slide off if the drive gear hangs on the flywheel. DO NOT let that happen or the starter will be in 2 pieces.. :)

then you will be positng back asking how to capture the brushes and get them back on the comutator.. :) ( fishing line works by the way.. if you decide to go that route.. :) )

soundguy

/ 8N clutch plate issue
So blocking the clutch seems to help for a bit, but after 10 minutes or so of use we are back to the clutch sticking. I will pull the starter as advised and use the carb cleaner when i get time. Do i need to leave the starter off and let the everything dry out after cleaning the clutch plate?

/ 8N clutch plate issue #8  
dry out?

the carb spray has a half life of a few seconds.. and there is a bellhousing drain.. thet you should ensure is open.. has a cotter key dangling in it.

by the time you set the carb / brake cleaner can down and reach for the starter.. it will be already mostly flashed off...

soundguy

/ 8N clutch plate issue
I finally got around to pulling the starter, mostly because it stopped working as the sping in the bendix has had it i believe. So while i am putting in another starter, I thought i would go ahead and try to spray down the clutch plate and get that working better. I pulled the starter and see the flywheel, what the starter catches, but dont see the clutch plate, is it on the front (toward the radiator) or the back (toward the seat) of the fly wheel? I assume just spray everything and rotate the flywheel to make sure i get good coverage?

/ 8N clutch plate issue #10  
back of course. flywheel is what's bolted to crank.. clutch has tobe AFT of that.

use a lil straw end on some carb cleaner.. bar over with screwdriver.