PTO shaft shields

/ PTO shaft shields #1  

beersngars

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HSD
Before I just cut this crap out of the way, thought I would ask here. I am trying to replace a grease zerk in my brand new tillers PTO shaft (it will not take grease) and the big plastic shield around the universal joint is giving me fits. Is ther a way to un-do or un-snap the collar that covers the thing so it can be serviced? I also have one on my Woods rotary cutter that make servicing the slip clutch a royal pain in the butt. Thanks

/ PTO shaft shields #2  
Pry a screwdriver in the holes about 6" from the ends of the guard. I think there are three. The guards should slide back down the shaft.

/ PTO shaft shields #3  
I usally cut 3 sides of a box in the shield collar to get to the fitting. This gives you a flap to pull out to get to the fitting without removing the cover.They are a pain to get them unhooked and back.

/ PTO shaft shields #4  
I am not a big saftey advocat. Old equipment doesnt even have the guards. If It were mine, I'd just cut it off. But I cant reccomend you do that if ya know what I mean.

I wouldnt advise it on the bushhog though. My bushhog doesnt have one and I whished it did. Because it wraps up with grass and briars and is a PITA to collapse when taking off.:mad:

/ PTO shaft shields
Thanks guys. JoeBiscuit nailed it. :thumbsup: Three little tabs that need a screwdriver jammed in and the shield slides back easily. I replaced the zerk and all is well. Thanks again.