L5030 Steering Controller

/ L5030 Steering Controller #1  

crazycharlie

Tractor
Kubota L5030/Kubota L35
I bought my 2006 used with 300+ hours on it last fall(2010) and my bad, didn't see the covered-up leak by the previous owner. It appears to have been welded and then covered the holes in the weld job with JB Weld and painted it to match. The cover is made of aluminum, so brazing is out. I may try the aluminum welder/person where I work and failing that, I'd try a local fabricator to make me a new cap. I've looked to Kubota and they don't offer the part separately, but rather will sell me the whole pump for $1000. Any comments?

/ L5030 Steering Controller #2  
I don't understand where the problem is. Why was it welded? It's still leaking?

/ L5030 Steering Controller
I didn't weld it, I didn't break it, I bought the problem with the tractor. Now find out the cover isn't aluminum, but rather steel. It would appear that the nipple was damaged as well as the thread area of the cap. It would seem to me that a better repair would've been to drill out to larger and re-thread, then reduce down to the proper size nipple. But yes, it was welded and there was a hole left in the weld that leaks under pressure.

/ L5030 Steering Controller #4  
Taking it apart and rewelding is the proper repair, you may have some luck cleaning really well with mineral spirits then alcohol, then welding up the leak with a mig while its still on the tractor too but it is really hard to get the oil out of the crack well enough to make the weld hold.

The other option is to find out what brand the orbital valve is (that is the correct name) and buy the replacement cap. The valve is not made by Kubota, might be a charlynn, rexroth or something like that.

/ L5030 Steering Controller
Well, the damage has been assessed. The top four threads are gone under the welded up nipple/nut. Of course the welding vaporized the oil ring. So, the next step will be to retap one size up and make necessary adjustments from nipple thread to hose. I appreciate the links you provided. I have had no desire to make field repairs. I have access to some super people where I work.