O/T but ...( auto tranny in car )

/ O/T but ...( auto tranny in car ) #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I know this isn't tractor related.. but there are too many smart people here to pass up getting some opinions.

A friend of mine has a ford tarus.. mid 90's I'd guess.

Here's her problem. She shifts in to (D) drive, and goes.. if she comes to a stop, the tranny kicks out.. ( neutral or park.. not sure which, and she hasn't been able to explain it much better at this point ). Anyway, if she shifts it back to park, then back to drive she can go again....

Not very safe in stop and go traffic... she has 4 little kids that she takes to school. I keep telling her to go get it fixed.. but I'm guessing she's short of ca$h.. and has been puitting it off. Soooo I may go take a look, if I can get some ideas where to start.

I am by no means a mechanic... but as we tractor people are.. if I have directions, I can turn a wrench, etc.

Ideas are greatly appreciated.

thankya

Soundguy

/ O/T but ...( auto tranny in car ) #2  
change the trans filter and fluid and inspect linkage forbinding/slop/out of adjustment. if that dont fix it then it is internal IMO.

/ O/T but ...( auto tranny in car ) #3  
I'm no mechanic, and don't know anything about Fords, but I assume this is front wheel drive.... I had a similar problem on my Chevy Lumina APV that was caused by loose bolts that hold the bracket that supports the shifter cable where it attaches to the shift lever, or could be bad tranny mounts, or loose cable adjuster. Sounds external to tranny anyway. Hope this helps.

/ O/T but ...( auto tranny in car )
Thanks for the ideas guys. I may peek under her hood later today ( the hood of her car..../w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif ) anyways...

thanks

If I find anything unusual, I'll post back.

Soundguy

/ O/T but ...( auto tranny in car ) #5  
I had a '91 taurus that had the exact same problem. From what 3 different transmission repair shops told me, there is a valve (I think that is what they called it) that goes bad in these transmissions. Apparently a common problem. Anyhow, the fix is to remove, disassemble & fix. The cost at that time (3 yrs. ago) was anywhere from 900.00 to 1400.00. Replacement tranny from a salvage yard was 650.00. I chose to sell the car. (didn't want to take a chance with another tranny having the same problem) Anyhow the guy did get a used tranny (son worked at the salvage yard & got it for 300.00) & I still see it on the road today.

/ O/T but ...( auto tranny in car ) #6  
I agree, it sounds like the spool valve in the valve body is sticking. You may want to change the filter and fluid then add Slick50 transmission treatment to the fluid. This may help free up the spool in the valve body.

/ O/T but ...( auto tranny in car ) #7  
I might add to my post that I did replace the filter & used an additive (wasn't slick 50) to no avail on mine, but it could be worth a try. If you do it yourself you will only be out a few bucks. Also, my problem got progressively worse, until it became too dangerous too drive.

/ O/T but ...( auto tranny in car )
Thanks guys. After I look at the linkage if I don't find anything I may try the xmission fluid addative... can't hurt anything to try.

Soundguy

/ O/T but ...( auto tranny in car ) #9  
91 Fort Tarus have twicthy trans. Have one sitting in the drive, tranny went bad and had it rebuilt. Went out again a week after warrenty went out. Still sitting, my advice is to trade it off. Mine is a money pit...

Jim