$500 in my pocket

/ $500 in my pocket #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
I narrowly dodged a repair yesterday.

I was driving my backhoe/loader back/forth across the farm bringing some topsoil from the barn area to my yard.

A single round trip is almost 30 minutes to get there, load up & return to the house.

I noticed every now & then, some form of "shiver" that the machine was experiencing.

It was not something I felt to be normal (which is why I think I noticed it).

I chalked it up to moving a bunch of dirt and maybe something shifting every now & then.

Then, yesterday, I'm driving with an empty bucket to the barn...and feel the shiver... huh? :confused:

Now I'm looking, watching... just being more alert to things trying to get an idea as to cause.

I then notice my front left wheel "wiggle" a little bit. Not much, just a little. Since I need a kingpin on that nuckle, there is a little slop in the wheel... I jiggled the steering wheel and saw the slop. The wiggle and the slop were two different things.

I had a flashback memory to a time when some stupid idiot (that would be someone that I know dearly and they will stay nameless to protect my ego ;)) who fixed a flat tire on the front....but, did not tighten the lug nuts all the way. The lug nuts loosened and the wheel fell off the little 1/2" "lip" that it rides on, causing all the lugs to shear and broke the hub.

I bought a new hub which was around $500/$550 and all was well.

So yesterday, I see this wiggle... and have this flashback memory.

I immediately stopped the machine and went down to look.

Virtually EVERY one of those lugs were about 50% loosened. Indeed, the wheel was starting to shimmy on the lugs and the lip that holds it.

I hand tightened the lugs in the field as best I could and went straight home to tighten them properly.

In the 10 minutes it took me to drive home, they came almost as undone as I found them in the field. It was like a little gremlin was there unscrewing them as I was driving.

Regardless... made it up the driveway, planted my bucket to raise the wheels and tightened those little SOB's down.

All other wheels were ok. I put the wrench & 30mm socket in the cab with me and went on with the rest of my day realizing that I would have probably NOT made it back home on that journey. Indeed, I might not have made it to the barn.

Had I made it to the barn, the extra weight of the dirt in the front bucket would have probably done me in.

So, broken hub is avoided and I now have $500 or more in my pocket since I don't have to fix it.

:thumbsup:

/ $500 in my pocket #3  
lol, I also am familiar with that feeling since our 'experience' with our vehicle. Yes, there was another brilliant person involved? :confused2: :cool: