Milky Transmission / Hydraulic Fluid Kubota 6100

/ Milky Transmission / Hydraulic Fluid Kubota 6100 #1  

tcnjdeluca

Hello All,

My "new to me" Kubota 6100 was kinda grinding into gears this last week so I checked the transmission / hydraulic fluid and it was VERY milky. I changed out the fluid and the new fluid is looking a little milky already. I suppose that is too be expected with the old fluid so contaminated. The transmission stopped grinding so I will probably run it a bit then flush the fluid one more time.

My question is -- Does the water contamination indicate a radiator leak like a car or could it all just be condensation / water intrusion? I tried to take a peak but did not see a line running from the tranny to the radiator. Am I missing something?

Dan

/ Milky Transmission / Hydraulic Fluid Kubota 6100 #2  
Air bubbles can look milky in the oil. Take a small container of your trans/hydraulic oil in a clear container and let it sit for a day or 2 and see if the oil clears up. You can also do a crackle test on the oil to see if it is moisture. Crackle Test You may have a suction side leak allowing air to get mixed into the oil and turning it milky. Moisture can enter into the trans/hydraulic oil by leaking in around the gear shift boots if the tractor is left out in the weather.

/ Milky Transmission / Hydraulic Fluid Kubota 6100 #3  
Most mositure in transmissions and rear end is from the hot cold with changing season exchanges.

For your condition it will take two changes, we normally use a cheap oil the first time so not to waste to much. We do recommend changing oil out every two years to three regardless of quality of oil or hours used do to condinsation.

/ Milky Transmission / Hydraulic Fluid Kubota 6100
Thanks for the replies. Glad to know it is most likely just condensation. I have no idea when the fluid was last changed. Wish I would not have spent the little extra on the fluid for "older tractors" now that I will just have to flush it again in a week or two.

Do you dispose of your hydraulic fluid with regular waste oil?

/ Milky Transmission / Hydraulic Fluid Kubota 6100 #5  
Hello All,

My "new to me" Kubota 6100 was kinda grinding into gears this last week so I checked the transmission / hydraulic fluid and it was VERY milky. I changed out the fluid and the new fluid is looking a little milky already.......

Dan

Dan,
There are several fluid systems in a tractor, as an apparent new owner of an old machine, it would be very wise to change ALL the fluids and filters asap.
Apparently the previous owner was a tad slack on maintenance.

Gears will tend to grind when the submerged in water as opposed to the oil
that is floating on top of same.

You could even change the air in the tires if you want to go all the way. ;' >

Have fun,
Dennis (WA)

/ Milky Transmission / Hydraulic Fluid Kubota 6100 #6  
I always take my used oil to Autozone, they take it no problem, but only 5 gal per day, and somthing like 10 Gal max per week.

/ Milky Transmission / Hydraulic Fluid Kubota 6100 #7  
Water sounds like your problem, also sounds like you are in the process of clearing it up.

Waste oil can be taken to most auto stores, auot zone, advance, even walmart, BUT if it has signs of water in it they may turn you away?????