loud clank 1953 ford jubilee

/ loud clank 1953 ford jubilee #1  

gbridgewater

Tractor
1953 ford golden jubilee
I have a loud clanking in the right rear tire/axle area. Any idea what it might be??

/ loud clank 1953 ford jubilee #2  
Need a little more info. Did you check for loose parts? Clanking when it's under load, using the brakes. What did you already look for?

/ loud clank 1953 ford jubilee
Don't know what to look for.. it makes the noise with no load forward or reverse, don't feel anything loose, brakes work fine, never tried applying brakes under power for any length of time to see if clanking..

/ loud clank 1953 ford jubilee #5  
it almost doesn't have to be the brakes :(

a repetive clank like that makes me think of lugnuts first, then hub to axle nut and hub to axle fit itself. ford hubs of that era are soft cast iron and the axle is hardened. if the nut comes loose, the axle gets loose and wears.. usually the 50$ hub wears out first.. but after a while the more expensive axle will wear.. once the splines are worn you can't snug the nut up enough to keep the hub on the axle before the nut bottoms out on the axle threads.

lastly.. could be a wheel bearing.

brak clunk is usually a 1 time deal when going forward or reverse, followd by a lockup, squeal or constant drag.. not a repetative clunk-clunk-clunk.

also.. check wheel center to rim connection.

post back

soundguy

/ loud clank 1953 ford jubilee #6  
I'd think loose lug nuts first. Break out the torque wrench and see.