Loader Bucket Cylinder Repair Help

/ Loader Bucket Cylinder Repair Help #1  

moojamboo

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1710
I ordered the repacking kit for my Ford 770A loader bucket cylinder. i managed to get the cylinder off the tractor. I was following the instructions i have in the loader manual but I'm having difficulty moving the cylinder shaft.

This is what the cylinder looks like now.
cylinder%20shaft.JPG

I can't seem to push or pull the cylinder at all. I was able to rotate the cylinder shaft with a metal bar through pin hole in the top end of the cylinder tube with a clamp holding the tube while i rotated the shaft. i tried moving the shaft in by using a small sledge hammer and a block of wood and nothing seemed to move.

Any advice welcome as you can see here the second step in the instructions says to push the shaft in all the way.
cylinder%20instructions.jpg

I have read that others have done this job in little time and my local dealer told me it would be a morning project. i have spend 2 hours trying to figure out how to move the cylinder please help.

/ Loader Bucket Cylinder Repair Help #2  
It should move...You did get the wire retainer out?

You can try hooking a air hose to the base of the cylinder to see if it will move. If it is really stuck then it may indicate a bent rod.

Why not post in the hydraulics forum?

/ Loader Bucket Cylinder Repair Help
I did take the retainer ring out. but that didn't come out the way the manual says. the manual said i could just rotate the head and the wire would come out. but i actually needed to pull the ring out. the head moves freely on the cylinder but the cylinder shaft won't move.

I will post this on the hydraulic form as well.

/ Loader Bucket Cylinder Repair Help #4  
typically the retainer clip set up like ours is removed by placing a screwdriver in the groove and using it to start the ring up out of the groove then turn the head and the ring shoul just walk out of the hole the , its messy but you could allways hook the tractor hoses back up to the cylinder and use it to push the rod out be careful though , because there will be air in the cilinder , air pressure may work if the resistance is less than about 90 psi but compressed air will yield a very sudden movement

/ Loader Bucket Cylinder Repair Help #5  
Yea, that rod should twist with no trouble if it's not bent.....Using compressed air is dangerous cuz when/if it launches it could sent it across the room without the retainer in place......:mad:

Best to get a piece of steel stock for the rod eye and beat it out with BFH (big freakin' hammer)......if'n that don't work you'll need to hook it up to tractor for some liquid persuasion.......

If the gland head only moves the the distance of the thickness of the wire, then you have a burr inside the cyl barrel.....then "Bull Strength & Ignorance" will be on the adjenda......

/ Loader Bucket Cylinder Repair Help #6  
BTW,

Is that cross tube tweeked or is it just an optical illusion.......

/ Loader Bucket Cylinder Repair Help #7  
Also, you only need to push rod all the way in when reassembling to tighten the piston (after all is back together)....otherwise the piston head will either go together too loose or too tight......

To take it apart you need to extend hyd rod all the way out then whack it with the BFH with the scrap steel stock in cross tube (don't hit the chrome part......:mad:)

/ Loader Bucket Cylinder Repair Help
So the manual says to unscrew the cylinder shaft from the compression nut and then slide the cylinder shaft out and then the compression nut and vpack one at a time. if i use a BFH and try to drive the shaft out will i damage the compression nut assembly?

/ Loader Bucket Cylinder Repair Help #9  
You need the piston (compression nut) to be on while you're yanking the assy apart.....otherwise you won't have anything to slam the gland from the inside to remove it.......that's what the scrap steel (in cross head) and the BFH is for......(after all the lock wire is out)

The hyd rod, gland, and all the seals will come out in one clean swipe.....then put cross head in vise and loosen piston head to expose all the rest of the seals......it'll come to ya as you start taking the thing apart at the vise...

the "Compression nut" or piston head is tightened only after the assy is back together to tweek the packings tight when you're done......

/ Loader Bucket Cylinder Repair Help #10  
Where in Northern VT are you.....I have a few accounts up there....one in Derby (IIRC)....Guay Repair Service....