Ford 1700 head bolts question

/ Ford 1700 head bolts question #1  

Joetheroux426

Tractor
Ford 1700
I am replacing the head gasket on my ford 1700 2 cly. diesel and need to know the pattern to tighten the head bolts and torque.

/ Ford 1700 head bolts question #2  
The actual torque value I cannot help you with...
But always torque heads in a criss-cross pattern. Are you familar with that? It's difficult to describe on a post, so I made a quick sketch (just a start, but I'm sure you can follow through from there). It's just a sketch, but gives you the intent of the criss-cross pattern. It would probably be better to work from the center out each way, actually (rather from the corners). I've seen both methods used.
It's also important to do a progressive torque. This means you'll torque three times. The first would be at 30-35 percent of the (finish) torque value, the 2nd would be at 60-65% of that finish torque value....the third would be at the finish torque value.
The intent is to pull the head down evenly which is what the criss-cross pattern and progressive torquing provides.

Sometimes heads require retorquing after a specified number of hours too. Also, if you do find a manual and it differs from my sketches, always go with the manual!

Attachments

• Criss-Cross Pattern.pdf
    9.1 KB · Views: 197
  • Criss-Cross from Center.pdf
    9.1 KB · Views: 241
   / Ford 1700 head bolts question #3  
The torque is 107 - 110 ftlbs. The manual doesn't give a torque sequence. I always start in the center and go in a circular pattern working my way out.
Bill

/ Ford 1700 head bolts question
Thanks for the replies, I ordered a service manual, if the sequence is not in there I will work my way out from the center.

/ Ford 1700 head bolts question #5  
Thanks for the posts. Can anyone tell me what sealant to use on the head gasket and valve cover gasket? I have a blown head gasket (pressure build in radiator similar to another post in these forums). Also need a good quality source for the gaskets.