Tractor
    Ford 1700

Default Ford 1700 head bolts question

I am replacing the head gasket on my ford 1700 2 cly. diesel and need to know the pattern to tighten the head bolts and torque.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Default Re: Ford 1700 head bolts question

The actual torque value I cannot help you with...
    But always torque heads in a criss-cross pattern. Are you familar with that? It's difficult to describe on a post, so I made a quick sketch (just a start, but I'm sure you can follow through from there). It's just a sketch, but gives you the intent of the criss-cross pattern. It would probably be better to work from the center out each way, actually (rather from the corners). I've seen both methods used.
    It's also important to do a progressive torque. This means you'll torque three times. The first would be at 30-35 percent of the (finish) torque value, the 2nd would be at 60-65% of that finish torque value....the third would be at the finish torque value.
    The intent is to pull the head down evenly which is what the criss-cross pattern and progressive torquing provides.

Sometimes heads require retorquing after a specified number of hours too. Also, if you do find a manual and it differs from my sketches, always go with the manual!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E

The torque is 107 - 110 ftlbs. The manual doesn't give a torque sequence. I always start in the center and go in a circular pattern working my way out.
    Bill

Tractor
    Ford 1700

Thanks for the replies, I ordered a service manual, if the sequence is not in there I will work my way out from the center.

Thanks for the posts. Can anyone tell me what sealant to use on the head gasket and valve cover gasket? I have a blown head gasket (pressure build in radiator similar to another post in these forums). Also need a good quality source for the gaskets.