RTV and Sheared Bolts

/ RTV and Sheared Bolts #1  

moojamboo

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1710
I replaced the seal in the drop box got everything cleaned up and put back together and as i was torquing the bolts on the hub assembly cover a bolt snapped. then a second one snapped. as i looked at the bolts i saw that the RTV sealant that i put on the cover of the hub assembly was all over the threads of the snapped bolts. So i drained all the fluid from the dropbox and removed the bolts from the cover and managed to get the bolt stubs out (luckily)

It said to use liquid sealant on the back of the cover but when i took the cover off after snapping the bolts there was very little sealant between the cover and the gear box but the bolts all had RTV in the threads. The bolts are original and grade 7. the bolts were to be tightened to 135lbs according to my repair manual. the torque wrench said it was only at 65 lbs when the bolts snapped.

snap%20bolt.JPG

Could the RTV cause the bolts to snap? Do i need a liquid seal on the cover?
How can i clean out the RTV that is left inside the bolt holds and the treads of the bolts? are all the bolts weak? should i replace all the bolts and use a higher strength bolt?

thanks for all your help.

/ RTV and Sheared Bolts #2  
See for yourself. What size bolt is it? The second chart implies that there may be a large effect (even up to 50%) because of the silicone lube effect. Is your gauge a clicker or dial? Extension or not? Didn't you feel the high strain region just before they let go?