John Deere 430 died while mowing

/ John Deere 430 died while mowing #1  

canucklehead

Gold Member
Tractor
1979 Ford 1500, Toro 455D 10' mower w/ Renault diesel,
Our JD 430 has a Yanmar diesel. My son was cutting grass and it just died. Won't turn over, nothing. Could I have blown a fuse, or where should I be checking? It doesn't turn over (almost like starter, but it was running when it died, so I can't see it being the starter).

thanks!!

/ John Deere 430 died while mowing #2  
Check the negative battery cable, the bolts must be super tight.

/ John Deere 430 died while mowing #3  
The diesel likely has a fuel shutoff solenoid that caused it to shutdown. Search here for that solenoid and see if you can pick up on what/how you can check it out.

May be a loose wire, or a thermistor, or.....??

Do you have the tech manual? If going to work on it yourself, might be a good excuse to get one (roughly $70).

/ John Deere 430 died while mowing
good call Wolfy...it was very loose. I tightened them up, but no difference.

the positive cable from battery goes directly to the starter. so how do i start troubleshooting?

I get no sound at all when I try to start it. I don't even hear a click sound.

I don't have a manual, only parts manual and owner's manual.

/ John Deere 430 died while mowing #6  
I had a 455 which was right after the 430/430 era, if i remember right. The tractor just died and I had to go to work. But my wife snooped around and found a bad fuse under the side panel. Maybe the same set up might be in a previous 430? If the battery is good, I would check that and also the seat switch. Make sure that is plugged in.

/ John Deere 430 died while mowing #7  

Attachments

• 430_fuel_solenoid.JPG
    430_fuel_solenoid.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,752
   / John Deere 430 died while mowing #8  
But he says IT DOESN'T CRANK. If fuel supply or lack of fuel was the problem it would crank and maybe sputter without starting.

If the neg post connector was loose, the battery may be cold dead. If you jump it, 1/2 the current may go to the dead battery so it will struggle to crank. Put a charger on the battery overnite and try it again in the morning.

/ John Deere 430 died while mowing #9  
zz
I may be off on the wrong tangent, I'll admit.

My understanding is that if the fuel shutoff solenoid doesn't function, it won't allow the starter to crank the engine. I was (am) assuming that is why it doesn't CRANK.

But without some checking, we won't know any more than we do now. ;)

Here are a couple fuel shutoff solenoid copies that may help. One tells about how it works in the system, and the other some checkpoints.

Attachments

• 755_fuel_solenoid_operation.JPG
    755_fuel_solenoid_operation.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 583
  • 455_fuel_solenoid.JPG
    455_fuel_solenoid.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 963
great info guys. I'll poke around tomorrow. Something like a seat safety switch or fuse makes a lot of sense. It would cause it to die while running, and not turn over or make a peep when trying to start. AND...I'm hoping it's that easy!!:D

I charged the battery with this electronic type charger that displays error codes if the battery is pooched (such as "internal shorted cell"). I got no codes and it charged quite fast. It did not fix the problem.

I'll keep plugging away and post my fix when I find it.