Kohler Command SP 18 Engine

/ Kohler Command SP 18 Engine #1  

South42

Tractor
L245DT
Ok, there is a small rubber tube running from the valve cover to the carb. Last fall I discovered there was fuel coming from this tube and flooding the carb (not large amounts, but enought to flood out the engine to the point it would blow a ton of white smoke then quit.) The guy at the shop told me it was the head gasket, so I replaced it and cleaned the fins on the engine. Still having the issue. As a quick fix and in order to mow, I just plugged the tube. Any ideas on what the root cause and the appropriate fix?

Oil levels are good, and it mows good, although it does feel like it might be loosing a little power when under a good load.

Thanks

/ Kohler Command SP 18 Engine #2  
That hose would be the breather, same as the PCV hose going into the air box on a car. Old engines would simply have an open pipe. Its normal to see a little oil splatter and mist coming from it. If there is a lot, its indicates blow by ( compression gases going around worn or broken piston rings).

If the carb is actually flooding and the airbox is getting soaked, the fuel might be spitting back from the carb (a lot of engines spit back some gas under normal conditions).
You can disconnect the tube to troubleshoot but you don't want to plug it. It needs to breath.

/ Kohler Command SP 18 Engine
Thanks, I hope its not the piston rings, the engine only has 150 hrs on it. I did disconnect it from the valve cover. any other tests I could do to trouble shoot the problem?

/ Kohler Command SP 18 Engine #4  
Is there too much oil in the crankcase? If it is coughing oil out the breather into the air filter that could make it run too rich. A fowled plug(s) could help determine that.