drill bit sharpener

/ drill bit sharpener #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
anyone use them.. either jig style or the self contained motor units.

I have accumulated a box of old hss bits over the years that are too dull to use.. though might be saved and at least use them on wood or cast iron ??

soundguy

/ drill bit sharpener #2  
i have the drill doctor 750x unit...and i swear by it.

been using it for several years. its easy to use and can sharpen from 3/32 to 3/4" with ease. i paid about $100 on craigslist for the thing

/ drill bit sharpener #3  
X 2 on the drill doctor. Love it.
Bill

/ drill bit sharpener #5  
Same here...DD 750x.

/ drill bit sharpener #6  
drill doctor

<aol> ME TO! </aol>

Have one of the very first drill doctors, and its saved me its cost 2-3x over, by being able to quickly and easily resharpen larger bits.

Takes a few times to get the hang of it, but once you do its nearly idiot proof.

I've been shown how to resharpen on a grinding wheel but never could get the hang of it, and had a hard time keeping the angles between the two side of the bits uniform. The DD holds the bit in a jig and makes it just about impossible to get two different angles.

/ drill bit sharpener #8  
One more vote for the Drill Dr.
I always turn bits into garbage with the jig and grinder. Drill Dr. is fast.

/ drill bit sharpener #9  
Drill Dr! I am not a fan of 'as shown on tv' stuff but the drill Dr is very good!

/ drill bit sharpener #10  
If you are real serious about a drill sharpener you might check out Darex. They are professional units. They are qlty and spendy.

I have an older model M and it was about $800 more than a decade ago. Today's low end model is selling for about $1500.

There are a couple of these older models on ebay and asking price is $400.

They are not for everyone but are hard to top for the serious user.