how do I fix this?

/ how do I fix this? #1  

sbullin

Tractor
Massey Fergusson 35
I am relatively new to the tractor scene, having "inherited" an older model Massy 35 a while back. Worked great last season, but while I was using it for the first time this season(last week) the mower sounded as if I had hit rocks-no rocks. When I looked back, the place where the pto shaft goes into the gear box ,what appears to be a seal or cap for closing where the bearings are had come open, and I don't know how to fix it.Also, There is something that looks like metal rick-rack just inside the little slot that is open...what is this?

/ how do I fix this? #2  
Hi welcome to tbn

Could you post a pic so we can have a look:thumbsup:

/ how do I fix this? #3  
:welcome:

Sounds like (but still need pics) you are looking at the gear teeth in the gear box.

That isn't good but maybe can recover.

Correct me if I got it wrong, but this doesn't have anything to do with the Massey 35 and only pertains to the mower gear box? If so, what is the mower brand? and rotary cutter or?

/ how do I fix this? #4  
actually.. sounds like a seal is out and you are seeing the seal retainer.

Now.. many reasons for this. If the bearing let go, the seal will fail.. if the retainer for the bearing let go, it can let the input shaft move forward, out of the gearbox, damaging the seal and making the gear teeth slip ( rock sound? ).

is the input shaft a bit sloppy now?

if not you might be only looking at a seal replacement.

post pics thoug.. we love pics.. :)

soundguy

/ how do I fix this?
Thank you- I will try the pics