Running Problems MF 65

/ Running Problems MF 65 #1  

mvm91861

Tractor
massey ferguson 65
I have a 1965 Massey Ferguson 65 with the continental gas engine in it that runs great for a little while until you start putting a load on it. Then you have to start choking to keep running and leave it on choke a little. I took carburetor off and checked for trash, cleaned jets, etc. Put back together still have same problem. Fuel bowl had a little trash in it. Trying to figure out why not getting fuel still. I do have fuel coming to carburetor but do not know if enough. Any suggestions.

/ Running Problems MF 65 #2  
Check the float for leaking and free operation?
When you pulled it apart, did you replace all gaskets and seals (as in a total rebuild)?
What do the spark plugs look like (sooty for rich, grayish for too lean)?

BTW, also suggest you use the search function. I'm not a Massey guy, so I don't follow those threads too often.

Last edited:
   / Running Problems MF 65 #3  
needing choke usually means fuel obstruction ( or lean )..

check for tank vacume as well.

soundguy

/ Running Problems MF 65 #4  
I just posted this on another thread also...........I somehow got bugs in the gas tank on my old Cub Cadet............one spider carcass was large enough to block the fuel flow..........so check your tank for obstructions.

Then check fuel hoses for internal degredation due to ethanol fuels.

/ Running Problems MF 65 #5  
when the switch to ethanol happened I had green crystals grow in the carb on my ford 660.. gummed it up good.

soundguy

/ Running Problems MF 65 #6  
when the switch to ethanol happened I had green crystals grow in the carb on my ford 660.. gummed it up good.

soundguy
Did you by any chance throw a geiger counter on it?.........did it glow in the dark?:)

/ Running Problems MF 65 #7  
Take the glass bowel off. YOu will see a brass filter, basicly a bunch of brass washers that act as a filter. Unscew this and take apart and clean. Open your fuel vlave with this off and flush the bottom of the tank. Also Tractor SUpply or napa carries about every part you will ever need for this tractor.

/ Running Problems MF 65 #8  
farmswithjunk likeky could offer some insight here as well. MF's are his specialty. I'mmore of a ford man.

soundguy