Thinking of going with a diesel engine for my backhoe

/ Thinking of going with a diesel engine for my backhoe #1  

chad22

Veteran Member
Tractor
Sears Garden Tractor
Well this isn't gonna happen for awhile yet. But I thought I would ask a few questions.

I've mentioned in a few other threads that I wanted to make a different backhoe, well more like a front hoe. Like the gofor digger towable backhoe.

I'll probably run my v twin Briggs engine on the new back hoe, once I get done building it. But I want to eventually add a cab with heat so I can stay warm while working in the winter. So I'll probably purchase this engine.

Briggs & Stratton Vanguard Diesel Engine with Electric Start 26.5 HP, 1in. x 3in. Shaft, Model# 582447 | Diesel Engines | Northern Tool + Equipment

It'll be close to $6,000.00 with shipping and yes I know. I'm probably crazy for spending this much money on an engine to build a backhoe, and could probably pick up a mini ex used for around the same price or more. But at least my backhoe or front hoe will be new. "And a new engine to boot"

I've submitted a question to northerntool, but was wondering if anyone knew if these engines are setup to allow hookup to a heater core?

I'm sure it does since it's liquid cooled.

I've had great success with Briggs engines, and got long life out of them. Heck I bought a Briggs single cylinder I wanna say 10 or 11 hp gasoline engine for $1.00 at a yard sale, and the only thing wrong with it was the intake valve. "It was stuck open". Guy said he couldn't get it running so he just bought a new engine for his mower.

The guy said the engine was at least 20 years old.

I've had gas engines but never diesel? Are diesel engines any better than gasoline engines?

Thanks

Chad

/ Thinking of going with a diesel engine for my backhoe #2  
Chad, The engine you are looking at has nothing in common with any B/S engine that any of us have had experience with. This engine is sold by B/S with their badge but is undoubtedly made by someone else. I don't mean that this engine isn't any good, in fact, I've been shopping for one myself. Diesel has better (lower) fuel consumption, but has other issues. Cold weather, fuel quality, fuel contamination are just a few. Any water cooled engine can supply water for a heater core, but sometimes the engine just doesn't make enough heat to maintain operating temp for efficient operation. This is a pretty small engine, under full load it will make plenty of hot water, but will it always be under full load in cold weather when the heater is needed? A decade ago, a certain bus manufacturer had to replace engines due to broken cylinder blocks traced to prolonged idling in cold weather with the rear heater running full bore. This engine was over 500 cubes. Might want to keep this in mind. I'm sure this cute little diesel will do the job, but care needs to be taken with what is expected of it. Just my 2 cents worth, jbird

/ Thinking of going with a diesel engine for my backhoe
Thanks Peffer. Someone responded from northerntool and from what they said it is actually manufactured by Magneto Power.

They mentioned that because they suggested I contact the manufacturer on how to attach the shaft to the engine.

So like you said, it isn't made by Briggs and Stratton. I still may buy this engine eventually, but still gonna shop around, because I have plenty of time do so.

I'm not sure whether it will be under full load or not, but I assume it will. They also confirmed it can be hooked to a heater core.

Chad

/ Thinking of going with a diesel engine for my backhoe #4  
How about selling an engine without any idea how to hook it to anything!?! What? Not very user friendly, it sure isn't the B/S I grew up with.

/ Thinking of going with a diesel engine for my backhoe #5  
If you are building from scratch you have a lot of flexibility to look for a good deal on an engine. Surplus Center usually has some decent offerings.
Surplus Center - 42 HP KUBOTA V1903 DIESEL ENGINE

Ebay is showing a "New Isuzu 3CB1 Yanmar 3TNV76, 26hp Diesel Engine, Deere
" for $3000 pus shipping.

If you are building from scratch you have a lot of flexibility to look for a good deal on an engine. Surplus Center usually has some decent offerings.
Surplus Center - 42 HP KUBOTA V1903 DIESEL ENGINE

Ebay is showing a "New Isuzu 3CB1 Yanmar 3TNV76, 26hp Diesel Engine, Deere
" for $3000 pus shipping.

Thanks, I came across this engine on ebay YANMAR DIESEL ENGINE 13 HP - eBay (item 310155673438 end time May-07-11 06:04:41 PDT)

It's alot cheaper than the one at northerntool, and probably better built.

I've asked the seller how much it would be too ship.

Chad

/ Thinking of going with a diesel engine for my backhoe #7  
It's funny Surplus Center was selling a new Yanmar just like that only painted orange in their pic for less than $800 and recently sold out.

It's funny Surplus Center was selling a new Yanmar just like that only painted orange in their pic for less than $800 and recently sold out.

I wish they still had some, that would be a great deal.

What do ya think of this engine ? CATERPILLAR 3516 - OFF ROAD DIESEL ENGINE | eBay

Think it will work on my backhoe? :laughing: I love how they say "Complete used diesel engine for OFF Highway USE"

I might be able to fit that down in my 1992 Chevy pickup. That ought to give me some horse power. :thumbsup:

Chad

/ Thinking of going with a diesel engine for my backhoe #9  
Guaranteed to turn 360 deg. LOL