how do you remove an injector pump from a massey ferguson 231

/ how do you remove an injector pump from a massey ferguson 231 #1  

jim4466

Tractor
massey ferguson 231
i have a massey ferguson 231 that is pumping diesel into the crankcase, i already changed the lift pump so it has to be the injector pump. i was told that removing the pump is tricky due to timing issues. can anyone tell me how this is done? can't afford to pay a mechanic to remove it and rebuild it. trying to save money.

/ how do you remove an injector pump from a massey ferguson 231 #2  
I don't know your answer. We have an IH 444 and I had to remove the injector pump.

I first however, had to remove the drive gear to the pump. When the pump was finally removed/replaced, I still had FITS of problems.

Seems, unknown to me, there was a drive pin that fit in the drive gear and into a fitting on the head of the pump. This had fallen out and I was getting flat surface to flat surface so I wasn't getting any good pressure.

Taking it all back apart again, I finally saw the pin that fell and started to figure things out.

Wasn't 'rocket science' for me but I'd say to be alert to little gotchas like that if you take it apart.

/ how do you remove an injector pump from a massey ferguson 231 #3  
I should have added... this drive pin is what locked in the timing so I didn't have to worry about that. Had the timing GEAR been removed from the timing chain, I would have had a bigger issue

/ how do you remove an injector pump from a massey ferguson 231 #4  
Jim, I have a similar situation with my 231S...diesel leaking into the engine sump from the CAV pump. I believe there is some sort of pin that can be engaged prior to pump removal that will preserve the timing provided the engine is not rotated while the pump is separated therefrom.

Were you successful with your repair?