Leak from Hole in front axle

/ Leak from Hole in front axle #71  
I cannot believe that any one would think that you would design, and that's the key , design, a weak link in any suspension system ... if anything you would design a safety factor into the suspension (and steering) ... you should as H... don't want to have an under designed piece on any tractor ... so when would you want it to fail?
Leo

/ Leak from Hole in front axle #72  
When my tractor was delivered the driver (who I think was a mechanic) made a comment about front end loaders and 4wd. Something to the effect that the front end is expensive to fix and that front end loaders result in more failures of front ends. No numbers or scientific data. Just a mechanic's comment. For what it's worth.

/ Leak from Hole in front axle #74  
Think I'd still put a cup or two of kerosene in the housing and let it sit. Looking good, as your finished outside surface does, and sealing, are two completely different situations.

/ Leak from Hole in front axle #75  
In my opinion, the culprit here is earplugs. I would bet that without them you would have heard that bearing starting to seize up just like a wheel bearing in your car. That's precisely why I don't like to wear earplugs, so I can hear any changes in the sounds from my tractor. If the noise doesn't hurt your ears, it isn't going to damage them. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

/ Leak from Hole in front axle #76  
That's what I used to think. Found that once my ears tuned in at the quieter mode, could hear just as well. One thing about never wearing them though, is that one day, you will be able to tell when the motor is running by putting your hand on the block, or taking a look at the fan belt.
If any of you are wondering about the gears in yours, pick up a stethescope lift the front and listen to the gears, you will be able to hear them easily when you spin the tires by hand.

/ Leak from Hole in front axle
Now, you tell me.

Is there the same problem with the front axle not engaged?...or just with a full bucket in 4WD?

<font color=blue>the culprit here is earplugs. If the noise doesn't hurt your ears, it isn't going to damage them. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.</font color=blue>

You are very fortunate if you are around loud noise w/o plugs and have no hearing loss. My hearing is only marginally OK. Loud noise was the cause of my initial hearing loss. The hearing I have left is so precious that I would rather blow an axle than risk loosing any more...not because I know tractor noise will damage what remains, but because it might. I wish my ears were more sturdy so I could choose earplugs merely as a preference and not as protection.

OkieG

Good idea about the stethoscope. I happen to have a couple hanging around. Interest in what's going on in the right spindle case is present, but not high enough to tear it down and put it back together just for a look-see. Too much time. Ahhh, but a stethoscope might give a clue. And once the "rebuilt" left spindle case is installed, I can compare sounds! Boy, am I smart or what? Thanks for the tip.

OkieG