Leak from Hole in front axle

/ Leak from Hole in front axle #81  
You don't know what you have until you lose it. The realization doesn't really set in until you have a hearing test by a audiologist and they give you your results. Your hearing can start degrading in small amounts over a period of time and you won't even notice it. Once you lose any frequency of your hearing you won't ever get it back. No piece of equipment is worth losing my hearing. Think about it and make your own choice. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Leak from Hole in front axle #82  
We're lalking about tractors here, guys, not jet engines. I never heard of anybody using earplugs for a tractor 'til I got on this forum.

/ Leak from Hole in front axle #83  
<font color=blue>I never heard of anybody using earplugs for a tractor 'til I got on this forum. </font color=blue>

Me neither, Norm. And I suppose that's only part of the reason I'm wearing two hearing aids./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Leak from Hole in front axle
I hope you are not getting angry at us woosies that use earplugs. I don't think any of us are trying to badger you, just expressing that we care.

As cpicton stated, initial hearing loss can be insidious. As rdbrumfield said, by the time you notice it going, it's way too late.

I lost my hearing as a youngster, through ignorance (firecrackers)...could have been prevented. There are lots of near deaf farmers...my father-in-law is one of them.

Take a few bucks and go have a hearing test. And afterwards, if you still tractor without earplugs, test again in a year or two. Comments not meant to incite or kick a dead horse. I'll shutup now.

OkieG

/ Leak from Hole in front axle #85  
I believe it's not so much the level of noise in our tractors case as it is the duration of time we subject ourselves to it. I've seen a chart somewhere that plotted the decibal level of noise on one axis and the duration of exposure time on the other showing where actual hearing damage would occur.

Jeff

Exactly. Loudness and duration are factors.

I'll really shutup this time.

OkieG

/ Leak from Hole in front axle #87  
OkieG,
I've worked construction all my life and never felt I needed ear/hearing protection. I wished I had listened. I lost hearing in one ear due to a tumor, they had to remove the bones in the inner ear that were destroyed by the tumor. Trust me, I value and protect the decreased level of hearing in the good one.

/ Leak from Hole in front axle #88  
My wife was always on my case about wearing the earplugs. Workin' in the shop and she'd come out and check. Out cuttin;' the lawn...here she comes. It's a habit now. I wear 'em. And I'm glad for it, as well as for her gettin' me into the habit. And your note, Inspector, is timely. My eleven year old grandson was just diagnosed with the same problem. In two weeks he gets a new ear drum and the bone replacement.

Don't you just hate it when somebody gives you good advice and you ignore it, then it bites you? I do...and I did it.

Djradz told me not once, but twice to check the braze with kerosene. I didn't. I had the time a couple of days ago when the weather was cool and I wasn't going to install the spindle casing and freeze doing it. It was a great idea you gave me, but I figured the braze looked good and I kinda backburnered your suggestion.

The spindle case was installed yesterday. The gearing seems to work great with the little exercise I gave it, but...there is a teensy-weensy leak. It is hard for me to admit being dumb enough to ignore good advice given to me twice. About 2 drops an hour, I figure.

Oh well. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 60s and I don't have to work...yeaaa! So, I think I can drain the oil. Put a little filter material in the funnel to catch any metal flakes. Then, I can reuse the oil after the leak is fixed. This time around I don't think I need to disassemble the spindle, just drain it, remove it (10 bolts) and braze it with the innards in place. I won't go for pretty, but will leave the braze on the cast. Should work, I hope. Might only take me a couple hours and leave time for a bit more tractor "exercise". /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

OkieG

/ Leak from Hole in front axle #90  
I had the surgery scheduled for bone implants at one time...... silly me went and had a heart attack and now they refuse to do the surgery.
Since the hearing loss is so severe, a "hidden" hearing aid is out of the question, but I wouldn't take a million bucks for the behind the ear one I need. It works great.

Jerry