Lights stay on - mud in fuse box

/ Lights stay on - mud in fuse box #1  

herbenus

Gold Member
Tractor
99 JD4200 4WD Collarshift
Last weekend I was on tractor when I noticed the lights were on. Switch was off. I turned switch several times and turned ignition key on and off and even put key in and out. Lights stayed on. I finally pulled fuse for obvious reasons. (Lights went off with fuse pulled.) When I opened door to fuse box there were lots of blobs of dried mud all over fuses. Since it's been really wet lately I can understand how mud could get up there, although I was surprised. I tried to leave tractor parked but sometimes you have work to do.

I'm hoping this is where I have a short but it might be somewhere else. I'll find out. And I don't suspect dried mud carries much current so it probably is somewhere else.

Question is: Any suggestions for cleaning out fusebox? I figured WD-40 or silicone spray and a toothbrush for stubborn spots. Or maybe even a contact cleaner, followed by silicone spray.

Any suggestions for where to look for short? If not in fusebox I was going to pull switch.

/ Lights stay on - mud in fuse box #2  
I would unplug the battery, spray and brush on an engine cleaner/degreaser like "Gunk", hose it down and let it dry or blow dry with compressor if available, then, if still shorted, get after it with a volt/ohm meter.

/ Lights stay on - mud in fuse box #3  
Cleaning with the Gunk stuff should be ok, but after it is dried out I would spray with WD40 to prevent corrosion. Don't use brake cleaner or harsh solvents like that. Could be bad on plastics and wire insulation.

/ Lights stay on - mud in fuse box
Although I'm not crazy about the thought of hosing down fusebox, it's already had a mudbath so what's a little more. Good tip on disconnecting battery. If using WD-40 (no water), I probably would have left battery connected, and shorted something with a cleaning tool. And I don't have a compressor, but I do have a good leaf blower, a nine-year-old, and earmuffs.

/ Lights stay on - mud in fuse box #5  
I agree with you that the mud is not likely carrying enough current to turn the lights on.
But I am curious. Was it mud thrown up by the tires? Or was it maybe from dirt (mud) daubers?

Not mud daubers. Thrown up from tires. Several times in the last few weeks I've been aggressively down to the axles - trenching, pushing tree down, and I've got a muddy spot I've had to carry gravel across for a pad. But I really don't know when mud got in. I haven't looked in fusebox in probably a year or more. Last I looked it was just real dusty. I guess I need to be more conscientious of housekeeping. And I know engine is due a cleaning.

Mind you, fuse box is not covered in mud. But there are 5 or 6 spots of mud, about 1/2" across, plus some smaller droplets. These are on fuses and fuse holdersl. You'd think it would be better protected or even sealed.

/ Lights stay on - mud in fuse box #7  
Even with a short in the fuse box the only way the lights will have power is through the switch. I would check the switch out for the short.

Agreed. I'll probably clean up switch at same time as fusebox and if problem is solved I'm done.

/ Lights stay on - mud in fuse box #9  
While the mud was wet, it could have shorted across a fiber, plastic, or rubber insulator and caused it to carbonize, thereby causing a permanent short after it dried. Possibly cleaning may reveal a carbonized insulator or something like that. Carbon makes a great conductor.

/ Lights stay on - mud in fuse box #10  
I agree with rdbrumfield on this one. I can't see how a short in the fuse block can cause the light to stay on. If it's not a defective switch, I would examine your wiring harness. I'll bet a wire has been rubbing on the frame somewhere and finally wore through the insulation.

John