21 HP/CRAFTSMAN-Lawn/Garden tractor

/ 21 HP/CRAFTSMAN-Lawn/Garden tractor #1  

machmeter62

Platinum Member
I maybe guilty of leaving the fuel in the tractor too long after the mowing season in Calif.? I also put fresh fuel in it before attempting to start it. It won't start without starting fluid, then quits after the fluid expires. The fuel line is clear all the way to the carburetor, but I suspect the float is stuck inside the carb. that is preventing the engine from continuing to run?

The carb. is very difficult to get at without removing/unbolting a large section of the front of the tractor. I have tried tapping the float assembly with a fiber hammer/extension only, with to no avail of un-sticking it? After two cans of starting fluid, do you gentlemen have any other solutions? With all the additional polution hoses/vapor barriers, etc. I may have to take it to a Sears Service Center? Thanx in advance for your thoughts.

/ 21 HP/CRAFTSMAN-Lawn/Garden tractor #2  
I maybe guilty of leaving the fuel in the tractor too long after the mowing season in Calif.? I also put fresh fuel in it before attempting to start it. It won't start without starting fluid, then quits after the fluid expires. The fuel line is clear all the way to the carburetor, but I suspect the float is stuck inside the carb. that is preventing the engine from continuing to run?

The carb. is very difficult to get at without removing/unbolting a large section of the front of the tractor. I have tried tapping the float assembly with a fiber hammer/extension only, with to no avail of un-sticking it? After two cans of starting fluid, do you gentlemen have any other solutions? With all the additional polution hoses/vapor barriers, etc. I may have to take it to a Sears Service Center? Thanx in advance for your thoughts.

You can get at it well enough to rap on it with a hammer, but can't to work on it? How about draining or removing the bowl and letting it refill with clean fuel?

/ 21 HP/CRAFTSMAN-Lawn/Garden tractor #3  
If it starts with starting fluid and dies when there is no more starting fluid then you have a fuel problem.

Your carburetor is starving for fuel. One or more of your tiny jets are clogged with varnished gasoline and you'll need a kit to rebuild the carb.

You can usually get a kit for around $15.00 to $25.00

Get you some fresh gasoline or some Kerosene and put it in an old coffee can and let the carb soak in it overnight. Take a piece of wire and clean out all those tiny little holes.

Once that's done then you should blow it out with an air nozzle. Then put all new gaskets on it and reassemble. It should be good to go and run like a new engine.

Good luck hope you get her running.

Chad

/ 21 HP/CRAFTSMAN-Lawn/Garden tractor #4  
Short of a carb rebuild, take off the air filter and pour gasoline directly into the carb. If the engine starts, then pour SeaFoam into the carb. This method has worked wonders for me.

/ 21 HP/CRAFTSMAN-Lawn/Garden tractor #5  
Check your owner's manual. Normally the hood and front can be removed quite easily by opening the hood part way and lifting straight up on the front of the hood to remove. The headlights must be disconnected before the hood can be completely separated from the tractor. You will be doing yourself a favor if you pull and clean the carb correctly. Short term fixes seldom lead to long term solutions.

Jim

/ 21 HP/CRAFTSMAN-Lawn/Garden tractor #6  
Check your flywheel shear key before you go too far with the fuel system stuff. Is this the single cyl 21hp B&S? I have one. You may have sheared the key a little bit the last time you used it - not enough to kill the engine, just enough to screw up the timing. Don't ask me how I know this.

/ 21 HP/CRAFTSMAN-Lawn/Garden tractor #7  
An engine that runs as long as starting fluid is supplied as a fuel source suggests fuel starvation. Sheared flywheel key usually will backfire and pop etc.
Of course, one never says never.:)

Jim

/ 21 HP/CRAFTSMAN-Lawn/Garden tractor #8  
I think I have the same lawnmower and problem as you. I have the two cylinder Kohler engine.

Last year, I had the same problem. I emptied the fuel tank, then put fresh fuel and Seafoam in the tank. With the gas/Seafoam in the tank, I shot air from my air compressor through the carb until I could see fuel spray from the jets in the carb. Afterwards, I didn't have problems starting the engine.

/ 21 HP/CRAFTSMAN-Lawn/Garden tractor
Thanx gentlemen for all the responses....I have tried all of the above with no success yet. I forgot to mention that Calif. has ("CARB"... Calif. Air Resources Board) that requires all these polution devices even on small lawn machines. There is several additional hoses confined in the engine cowling too, on this V twin engine that is hampering the progress.

The expression "SEAFOAM" is a new one to me, and where would I purchase this product?
It sounds like that maybe the solution! Starting fluid in the float bowl hasn't worked yet.

/ 21 HP/CRAFTSMAN-Lawn/Garden tractor #10  
I also have a sears 20 hp with a Kohler single piston. The tractor has a selenoid on the carb.That lets fuel in when 12 volts are applied when the key is turned on. You might see if your tractor has this. If not remove the carb and clean it. Next year you should shut off the fuel and run the motor until the gas runs out.
best of luck!