running problem with massey ferguson t020

/ running problem with massey ferguson t020 #1  

smitty1127

Tractor
1952 ford 8n
i have set the timing on the tractor, adjusted the points and rebuilt the carb. but when i fire her up! runs great, idle it up and still runs great but after about 10 sec, it starts to act up, kinda a miss or maybe like its not getting fuel, i can even put the pto on and it runs great for about 10 secs and the same thing happens. i can even shut it down and restart and the same problem. any of you fellas out there had this problem, thanks smitty

/ running problem with massey ferguson t020 #2  
Try and replace the points and condenser, they dont cost that much. Conterminous to what some people believe. Also did you check the spark plug gap? Btw if you turn the fuel valve off, and take out the drain bolt on the bottom of the carb and then turn the valve on, the fuel should seem to "pee" out of the hole, if it doesn't then you may have a fuel problem.

/ running problem with massey ferguson t020 #3  
I would replace at least the condenser as a starting point. Condensers are occasionally bad out of the box. What color are the spark plugs and have you checked spark after the symptoms start?

/ running problem with massey ferguson t020 #4  
if the poitns don't look burned after the 10 second run, and she restarts.. it likely IS NOT the condensor. open condensors allow the points to burn.. shorted ones don't usually heay and allow a restart.

sounds like classic fuel strarvation.. I bet a lil choke helps it stay running for a couple seconds longer..

check fuel tank tap, and ionlet to carb.. especially the float valve.

soundguy

/ running problem with massey ferguson t020 #5  
if the poitns don't look burned after the 10 second run, and she restarts.. it likely IS NOT the condensor. open condensors allow the points to burn.. shorted ones don't usually heay and allow a restart.

sounds like classic fuel strarvation.. I bet a lil choke helps it stay running for a couple seconds longer..

check fuel tank tap, and ionlet to carb.. especially the float valve.

soundguy

Or maybe some "junk" in the fuel tank or line???

/ running problem with massey ferguson t020 #6  
   / running problem with massey ferguson t020 #8  
i usually leave it at fuel starvation, as it encompases soo many things. ie.. 'junk' in the line as you say.. junk under the float valve.. junk on ht efuel tap.. a colapsed float, colapsed rubber line.. etc.. etc.. tank vacume..

the rest is an exercise for the owner :)

soundguy

/ running problem with massey ferguson t020 #9  
Just fixed the identical problem. Ten seconds of power then sag. Do a compression check. The friction washer between the valve stem and the rocker arm had slipped over, almost jumped off, the valve stem being longer did not close. Tapped it back in place and adjusted the clearance. I have cut about 20 acres the old power is back.

Now here is the bad news. It just happened again, just did compression check
same cylinder, number 3. Anyone know of a permanent fix?