Craftsman Garden Tractors ("THOUGHTS ONLY")

/ Craftsman Garden Tractors ("THOUGHTS ONLY") #1  

machmeter62

Platinum Member
For the last 35 yrs. I have shopped Sears for these tractors for mowing relative smaller lawns mostly. I don't know if this is still a true statement, but I think MTD still is the provider for Sears tractors?

In this hi-tech era now, I don't understand why the manufacturing of small garden tractors reliability hasn't improved with MTD; another couple of feet of wiring isn't going to create a large price increase? I think MTD still builds tractors for Sears? I am wondering if others here face yearly problems with their different makes of lawn/garden tractors for dependability issues?

The wiring harness in my opinion is a "complete joke" for reliability, with all the safety switches, and connections exposed in cheap connectors, and the worst possible place that absorb all the dirt,dust,& etc, and other possible wear, when in motion. It would seem that all the safety switches could have a central location for a continuity check instead of raising the tractor first, or have nimble hands for access. Our tractors are kept in a garage during the winter months, and yearly it has always been a question for starting, because the safety switches usually creating the problem? Is Craftsman tractors now considered the "bottom feeder" in quality too? Thanks for your thoughts!

I once owned a '52 MG-TD with an "Lucas ignition system," and the fear of starting it is still embedded in my mind, and always parked on a hill if available!

/ Craftsman Garden Tractors ("THOUGHTS ONLY") #2  
I learned my lesson with Sears back in the early 90's. If it has a plug or engine on it... I will not purchase from them.

/ Craftsman Garden Tractors ("THOUGHTS ONLY") #3  
My father bought a new 12hp MTD in 1993. He also bought a new 18hp Craftsmen in 2004, still uses both. They only mow and once in a while pull a small trailer. They both run well and have been very reliable. For the money Sears offers real value. I think the key to making them last is using them for just that. If you have heavier chores a subcompact would be much better suited. And its unlikely Craftsmen is any lower quality than whats found at Home Improvement Stores.

/ Craftsman Garden Tractors ("THOUGHTS ONLY") #4  
I think a Craftsman garden tractor is a great deal. They are not built like a tank, but they do work pretty well. You can buy one for for about $2500. In 1960, they were 30 to 40 percent of that. A car was about $3500 then. What kind of car do you get for 10 grand now.

/ Craftsman Garden Tractors ("THOUGHTS ONLY") #5  
Throughout the 60's and 70's sears had a lawn tractor that could be used as a light gardening tractor called the ( Suburban ) one of the best sears tractors ever, They were built by David Bradley in the early 60's and then was sold to Roper sometime in mid to late 1960's Roper continue to built them up into the 80's sometime in the late 80's MTD ,AYP and Murry started providing mowers for Sears, then in the late 90's Poulan had manufactured some Sears Mowers,
I found the sears information earlier in this year when I purchased a used Roper and was in need of information on who built it?
Seems the series of Sears tractor depends on who built it....
MTD was the manufacture of the high end None commercial Sears tractors although MTD also manufactures many low end branded name mowers as well,

In 1999 or 2000 (can't remember which) I went to Sears to purchase a new rider, Sears was selling both Poulan and of course their house mower (Sears) I started comparing and found many things I liked better on the poulan, Plus I could save about 200.00 on buying the poulan, The poulan was virtually the same mower but had the Industrial Intek engine with the spin-off oil filter and a larger fuel tank etc,etc, though over the years I've had to weld and patch up on the old poulan it Had made a good mower considering the terrain in was cutting,
I finally last year decided not to wast anymore weld on it and purchased a none running CC. I then put the 11 year old 17 HP engine from the old poulan over onto the CC and still continue to use the engine trouble free,
My son now has the poulan and has installed a 10 HP engine and still using it,

Incidentally 1 week after buying my poulan I went back and purchased the same Sears Mower I used to compare the poulan with, I give the sears to My In-law....
Her mower (sears) is still in like new condition, although she only uses it to cut every 2 weeks and on good level terrain, only 1 set of replacement blades in 11 years,

I'm sorry I came back to see others POV on Sears, and notice your heading topic Shouting (" HYPHEN ") not sure exactly what this is you want to know? or is this a Poll with a simple Yes I like them -or- No I do not like sears mowers?:confused: if this is a Poll I Vote Yes on sears....

Last edited:
   / Craftsman Garden Tractors ("THOUGHTS ONLY")
I like Sears for their customer satisfaction policy. I also consider the value of the purchase, which includes design features, and quality of the somewhat simple engineering for durability and maintenance. My first one in '75 had a gear box failure shortly after purchase, and I returned it to the loading dock, and wouldn't accept a replacement, because of design weakness in the transmission for locking in a gear.

/ Craftsman Garden Tractors ("THOUGHTS ONLY") #7  
Couple thoughts about Sears.

I believe Husqvarna now makes their machines.

Sears is now just a different Kmart since they took them over.

And I would never...never buy one of their appliances ever again. Not so much because of the appliances........ but the incredible idiots that they hire for delivery. Plus I found the hard way you can get much better deals and treatment from the independent dealers.

/ Craftsman Garden Tractors ("THOUGHTS ONLY") #8  
The best thing about Sears is their parts network. I ended up with my fathers old 20+ year old rider. I use it to move the rocky parts of the lawn. Just before I got it dad replaced the rusted deck, $200 and he had it. A coworker just had his Wheel Horse deck rust out. $690 for the deck and it's about 1500 miles from here and would need to be shipped freight.

/ Craftsman Garden Tractors ("THOUGHTS ONLY") #9  
Sears took down the logo "Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed" no too long ago.

I asked a Sears associate about this last weekend and he said he is new and did not know about this.

I bought everything at Sears and also got my first credit card from them...

I now look at Sears a lot differently since I received a new card, called in to verify receipt and then went to buy a new range and tires only to learn that my card had been cancelled along with many thousands of others while at checkout... the clerk invited me to reapply and I declined... told him be cancelled once is one time too many.

Seriously, perfect credit and they cancel with a 30 year history???

My other pet peeve is the craftsman warranty items are disappearing or only being sold in sets... no more buying just the tool you need or socket that got lost...

Craftsman Tape Measures were great... own several of them... first one that every broke I took back last Sunday and learned they no longer sell Craftsman Tape Measures to the satisfaction guarantee now means nothing.

I was at a small Ace Hardware today and guess what... they sell Craftsman Tools including Craftsman Tape Measures.

I also wanted to buy new Sears Garden Tractor Blades and had my model number... tractor is 5 years old... the number didn't come up on the Sears Blade Finder Computer in the isle... first associate told me it was too old and then an older lady said this happens a lot... she went to the cashier area and pulled out a booklet and said here is the number for the part I need and she has them in stock...

/ Craftsman Garden Tractors ("THOUGHTS ONLY") #10  
For the last 35 yrs. I have shopped Sears for these tractors for mowing relative smaller lawns mostly. I don't know if this is still a true statement, but I think MTD still is the provider for Sears tractors?

QUOTE]

For quite some time (more than 17 years) Sears-Craftsman tractors have been built by AYP - American Yard Products. AYP also built Husquevarna and maybe a couple of other brands. Maybe not the top of the line, but better than some others. AYP parts are available at lots of locations, but especially online.

I've had my Craftsman tractor now for 16 years and other than finally having to replace the deck belts and main drive belt, and one very small rubber crankcase vent hose (~$5 on the Kohler twin vanguard engine), I have done zero maintenance other than oil and filter changes. I'm very pleased with its build and reliability.