Tractor
    JOHN DEERE 2210

Default John Deere 2210 Charging System Problem

I have a 2004 JD 2210 Utility Tractor. Having problems with what I thought was the regulator.

1 - New battery = 12.86 VDC with no load
    2 - When started, battery test at 12.75 VDC whoile running
    3 - Alternator looks OK and tests at 29 to 64 VAC when running.
    4 - When alternator cable unplugged from reulator, battery still measures 12.75VDC so I was convinced that teh regulator was bad.
    5 - At the regulator plug, tested teh AC voltage coming in from the alternator adn also the 12.86 VDC which I assume is connected directly to the battery.
    6 - Bought new regulator for $130.00 and replaced the old one.
    7 - SAME RESULTS!!!!!
    8 - I'd like to find the output specs for the alternator (Part # AM879144) and the input/output voltage for the Regulator (M807915)

I always thought that voltage out of an alternator was DC voltage and that a rectifier was needed to convert AC to DC, but if AC voltage is indeed supposed to come out of this alternator, then I guess the regulator converts the AC to DC.

Any help greatly appreciated!!! Thanks
    Last edited by dattcomm; 05-22-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD-970

Default Re: John Deere 2210 Charging System Problem

Hi, yes the voltage regulator converts the AC from alternator to DC for battery.
    Check the following.

1. Make sure that regulator case in well grounded to alt. case. Chassis ground path
    of reg. is not reliable. So, if not already there, running a 10 gauge wire from alt. housing to
    regulator housing is a good idea. All alt. negative current must travel this route.

2. This is a guess, but if you are getting these high AC voltages at reg. input there is a
    very good chance that you have an open circuit between the regulator DC output and
    the B+ terminal of your battery. Check for an open fuseible link, open hot lead or a
    blown heavy amp fuse between these two units. Quick check would be to see if there is B+
    current from battery at regulator dc output terminal. Don't check for volatage only since a
    hi resistance with no load will give good volt readings. Instead check for good current flow from
    battery at this terminal by applying a load to this circuit. Strike hot wire to gnd and look for fat spark.
    When alt a/c voltage is this high it's usually because the dc current has an open or a hi resistance path
    to your battery or loads.

cheers,
    keoke
    Last edited by Keoke; 05-24-2011 at 04:17 PM.
    George (keoke)

Tractor
    John Deere 2210

I know this is an older post , but I thought since the Deere 2210 commonly has a charging problem , I felt I should reply to this. I have a 2004 Deere 2210 that quit charging all of a sudden. To make a long story short DON'T jump right into buying a replacement voltage regulator !!! 9/10 the problem is the charging relay. This relay is located right next to the regulator. Both parts are on the left side behind the plastic shroud below the dash. Any questions , please feel free to ask.

Tractor
    JD 2210

Quote Originally Posted by sticker221 View Post
    I know this is an older post , but I thought since the Deere 2210 commonly has a charging problem , I felt I should reply to this. I have a 2004 Deere 2210 that quit charging all of a sudden. To make a long story short DON'T jump right into buying a replacement voltage regulator !!! 9/10 the problem is the charging relay. This relay is located right next to the regulator. Both parts are on the left side behind the plastic shroud below the dash. Any questions , please feel free to ask.
    I'm having similar issues I'm wondering if you knew the part number for the charging relay as it will help me to locate the part and purchase one if it turns out that's what I need. Thanks