Bolt size for John Deere F935 mower blades

/ Bolt size for John Deere F935 mower blades #1  

carl730

Tractor
John Deere F935
I'd measure it myself but it's on my property 20 miles outside of town. I have one stretched bolt on my 72" side discharge deck. When I first noticed it I measured it quick and thought it was a 5/8 x 2 1/2" long bolt. I bought a standard course thread bolt and found it wouldn't fit. So my question is it 5/8" fine thread, a M16-1.5 x60mm long or a M16-2 x 60mm long? Hate to by one of each cause the hardware store charges $2.39 each.

/ Bolt size for John Deere F935 mower blades #2  
:welcome:
Where is your Deere dealer?

jdparts says M16 X 60

Attachments

• F935_blade_bolt.JPG
    F935_blade_bolt.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,068
   / Bolt size for John Deere F935 mower blades #3  
Not sure, but you don't want to put a too soft or too hard bolt in its place. Check your dealer. Probably won't be that much more if any.

/ Bolt size for John Deere F935 mower blades
Thanks Beenthere and Kyle.

The fact that it's metric is why my six point socket seemed to be such a tight fit. Kyle, the bolt has no markings on the head so I believe it is soft which would explain why it stretched so much. Thanks guys, it will save me a 20 mile trip back to buy one!

/ Bolt size for John Deere F935 mower blades #5  
Likely all the bolts/nuts are metric. Have been for years on Deere.

Not sure how one can stretch an M16 bolt. Using a driver? or cheater bar? Maybe hitting something with the blade added some torque to it?
What was the clue that the bolt was stretched? Just curious.

I'd be buying and replacing all three of the bolts if I knew one was bad. ;)

/ Bolt size for John Deere F935 mower blades #6  
Its a special bolt because it has an extra tall head section so a 6 point socket and a breaker bar will stay on it during removal. My English socket fits nicely on it when bolts are new but are too tight after beating and banging grass, twigs, bricks and stones. I use a die grinder to resurface the edges of the bolts and the sockets once again fit.

been there,
The bolt has a noticeable hourglass shape. I have some areas on the property that are really wet and NOW know better than to mow when it's too wet, stuck the F935 several times learning to stay away until it drys out. So by the time it dries, the grass is waist high and has very wide blades of grass. Have bound up the mower going through it several times. The engine groans and I raise the deck while it clears out. I would think that is holding the blades while the belt tries to spin the spindle. That is the only thing I can think that could have stretched that bolt.
The JD dealer is way on the other side of town so I was hoping I could find one at a hardware store or Lowes. No luck, I'll most likely end up at the dealer after all.

/ Bolt size for John Deere F935 mower blades #8  
Wish I could find a clean used F935 for cheap! (My mower budget is blown):mad:

Went online to see if I could find the hours for the parts dept at my JD dealer, Meridian Imp. They were not listed in the dealer locator. A new one to this area (Dekalb Imp. in Loves Park, IL) is listed and it is much closer to my house. Hope their service will be as good as Meridian's was.

Kyle,
When I bought mine it was just 4 or 5 years old. It definitely wasn't cheap. I sure cut my mowing time half over the old Ford 8N I traded in on this one. I was worried about getting a diesel after only having gas engines before. Glad I took a chance on the diesel. My land is next to a forest preserve and they have 2 mowers just like mine that they use.