tools

/ tools #11  
<font color="blue">tools ranging from Proto, Snapon, Thorsen, Blue Point, SK, Plumb, New Britain </font>

I know nothing about Plumb and New Britain. The others are all good tools, and I suppose you know that Blue Point is just one of Snap-on's brand names.

/ tools #12  
For my needs Sears Craftsman Tools have served me very well... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ tools #13  
Metric is a great system but till its universal a fellow needs two sets of tools. Some times one has to use both on one project.

Egon

/ tools #14  
<font color="blue"> the ratcheting wrenches ,like dogbones, need some improvement </font>

I broke my ratcheting Craftsman wrench, but I was abusing the heck out of it with a pipe attached for leverage and an air impact wrench on the bolt on the other side. I should have used a normal wrench for that application. I was impressed that the wrench held up for 3 out of 4 bolts with the abuse that I was giving it. I can honestly say that the only Craftsman hand tools that I've ever broken were broken using cheater bars, hammers or impact tools when I should have just used the correct tool. Maybe some of the other brands will take more abuse by their owners(and maybe that's why they cost more) than Craftsman tools, but used properly(as I haven't on occasion), they should last a lifetime. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ tools #15  
I have been a professional mechanic for about 25 years now....One thing about craftsman...I bought several of thier master sets years ago and now have 4 complete top and bottom boxes stuffed full of nearly every brand. Most of the craftsman tools I originally bought in 1975 I still use today..................BUT.........The replacements they give you today don't seem to have the quality of those made a quarter century ago(YES I'M OLD DON'T GO THERE !! ) I had a 1/2" universal joint for 20 years and even used it on my air impact....and it lasted !!! The replacement broke the 1st time I used it(no, not on the air wrench ) and at least 3 more times after that........Yes the warranty is still the same but it doesen't matter if you need the tool and it fails repeatedly.........other sockets .......same quality issue...I've bought out several truck mechanics tool collections over the years and yes, Mac or Snapon are great if you can afford them. My advice is starting out is buy the best you can afford and and add to your collection.........There is always a deal on them when you don't really need them and you can upgrade as you go along........Wrenching is an honorable profession and can be satisfying but your hands are never clean..........Good Luck...........Tom

/ tools #16  
nav_logo.gif

00946300000-dlv.jpg

CRAFTSMAN.gif

Excellent value, good quality, no questions asked / no hassle lifetime warranty… /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ tools #17  
I have a 1/2" and 1/4" drive set of Sears sockets that I bought in 1943 for my first car ( a 1937 Studebaker Dictator ). The 1/4" drive set was in a small tool box that set in the 1/2" drive box. Both sets cost $18.95. The older sockets were thinner, and would fit where the newer thick ones would not.
Bud

/ tools #18  
"i still work out of my crapsman box. it works just fine just full. ( i do need a bigger box)"

I still have my Snap-On taco wagon. I'm not wrenchin' anymore but I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. Not only was it something I wanted all my "career" but it would take a good sized crew to steal it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ tools #19  
The reason a lot of proffessional mechanics don't like Craftsman is they can be a PITA. If you use your tools proffessionally you'll wear out stuff like 1/2" or 13mm sockets on a regular basis. If you have Snap-On or Mac or Matco the truck comes by once a week or you can call the guy and he'll make a special trip to help you out. He also knows what the heavy sellers or warranty units are and stocks accordingly. If you have a Craftsman socket wear out you have to remember to stick it in your pocket and drive to a Sears store after work when you really don't want to mess with it and then find out that they are out of the socket you need. It also pays to change out of your work clothes so some puddin' headed clerk doesn't force you to jump up and down and loudly demand they call the store manager so you can embarrass them into standing behind their warranty.

/ tools
All of you had helped me out very much. I saw on ebay that there are many snap-on socket sets on sale for real cheap. Since I have a neighbor that lives 3 houses down from me that sells snap-on, it would be nice. Plus there is another snap-on guy on the next street. Do any of you think it would be worth buying some used snap-on tools off of ebay then switching out the bad ones for new ones? Can you trust the people on ebay? Thanks.