tools

/ tools #42  
<font color="blue"> Personally, except for tools, I think being a packrat must be a psychological condition of some kind </font>

After I posted my note, I realized packratitis is not limited to just guys and their tools (and any other useful shop item that might come along). I'm glad you exempt tools from the undesireable manifestations of the syndrome. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OkieG

/ tools #43  
Craftsman tools are made by a number of suppliers around the globe. Their tool needs are put out to bid and the lowest bidder meeting all of their specs will make that tool for the length of the contract, usually a number of years. If you look at Craftsman wrenchs and sockets you will see letters like "G", "V", etc. This tells Sears who made the tool in case there is a problem with it. The 1/2" ratchet you bought today probably was not made by the same company as the one you have had for many years. And yes Sears has had problems with their newer ratchets, return one and they give you a rebuilt, hopefully better that the one you had, but who knows. Sears sends inspectors into their vendors plants to check on quality, they do a good job and are well trained. I would say for the money Craftsman tools are hard to beat, no I do not work for Sears, just my insight.
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ tools #44  
soarkrebel,
Yes, they are in Springdale. The plant in on AR 265 north of town.

/ tools #45  
<font color="blue">Craftsman tools are made by a number of suppliers around the globe</font>

Ken, I'm sure that's true of most of the companies. I knew it was true of Craftsman and I know it's true of Matco, and I'm reasonably sure of the others, too. For instance, if you look at a Snap-on impact wrench, it's plainly labelled that it was made in Japan, as are Chicago Pneumatic, Ingersoll-Rand, etc. and I doubt that any of them have their own manufacturing facility there.

<font color="blue">Sears sends inspectors into their vendors plants to check on quality</font>

And I would suspect they do some in-house testing, too. I've been in Matco's test facility in Stowe, OH, and seen how they try to tear up tools from vendors who are bidding to make tools for them, and I suspect the same is true of the other major brands.

And I, too, have no stock, financial, or other interest in any of the tool companies anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ tools #46  
Jerryg i thought there was a factory there.

Anybody ever seen any ,i believe they were called , power craft? marketed by montgomery wards. once was huge like craftsman. i worked with an old guy who had bunches of it . said it was once the thing to have. not anymore!

How about bonney? ever see any of there stuff? used to make a bonney wrench. really a pump wrench . armstrong still makes them and matco sells them. i wish i had set of them. expensive!!!!

/ tools #48  
Yeah, Egon .... garage #1 one is filled with boxes and "stuff"
garage # 2 has tractor, snowmobile, motorcycle and golf cart
"garage" #3 is my workshop ... filled with tools, more tools and still more tools .... and overflow boxes from garage # 1
ATV is parked inside the barn.
Pickup, Van and motorhome are, and have always been, parked in front of garage #1 and garage #2
Sigh
Some day, I will actually park my vehicles inside (in my dreams!)

/ tools #49  
My wife is a supervisor for the plant that makes Craftsman chainsaws. They do come around every so often, to check things out.

This plant makes several makes of saws. Besides Craftsman, they make Poulan, Husky, Jonsered and Partner. They make more but that's all I can think of at the moment. Each brand is built to that company's specs.

Billy

/ tools #50  
I had heard awhile back that the Kobalt brand of tools that Lowes carry are made by Snapon. I can't verify that, it's just something I'd heard.

Jim