Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Tractor
    JD 4610 ehydro MFWD

Default Re: tools

I have looked at those Kobalt tools at Lowe's. They look pretty good. I know they are a whole lot cheaper than Snapon

Billy

I have also heard that kobalt are made be snap-on.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    varies never keep one long enough to post here lol

Hello Sawzall, being a Diesel mechanic myself for 12 years and being self-employed on and off the past 4 I have to say I've been around them all (tool mfg's) I've bought junk and good stuff as well mostly I'm Craftsman, I did and you will too have to buy specality stuff off the trucks, Mac, Snap-On, Matco, etc. I have had good luck with Harbor Freight's "professional" line stuff much better quality than regular HF stuff, had different circumstances struck me my tool selection might be better/different but I could afford Craftsman when I started and have been well pleased with them. Good Luck theres not alot of people that actually want to get their hands dirty to make a living anymore.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3130

I can understand that about not wanting to get your hands dirty. Well, not everyday anyway. I was a "mechanic" for about a year and did jobs out of my garage for a number of years. I used build motors and trannies for my own racing hobby, a couple circle trackers, etc...

Most of the tools I have are Craftsman and I never had any problems except for a one of thier cheaper ratchets. Most of these tools are 15 years old now. I did bust a 1/2 socket here a while back but that was my own fault for using it with an 1/2" air impact....Dohhh!! I'd misplaced my 1/2" impact socket and was in a hurry. Ended up having to find it anyway...LOL!!

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

I have both craftsman tools, and a bunch of odds-n-ends from harbor freight. I'vd found that when working on my tractor, there are a bunch of tools that you run across that you need...once. So I go get a HF tool.. does the job.. then sits in the tool box. Don't think I would trust them if I was a professional mechanic.. but for a tractor owner... can't beat the price ..

Soundguy

I agree soundguy,
    Things like a ball joint seperator or a harmonic balancer puller can be bought at HF ok. I do like a good set of wrenches and sockets though. Not necessarily a brand name just good tools. I have found the Popular Mechanics tools sold at Wal Mart to be of good quality and quite useable. I also buy some HF sockets, but always impact grade 6 point, they hold up pretty good.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Yep.. for instange.. when I did my tie rod ends... I couldn't see paying between 11 - 17 bucks ( napa, sears ) for an item I used to pop out 4 tie rod ends.. and then will probably never do again... I ended up with a 3$ HF one.. and it worked.. now it is ballast in my tool box...

Soundguy

Tractor
    Kubota L3000DT

sawzall i said look at pawn shops earlier. well yesterday i just happened to stop off at one on the way home. i found a snap on 3/8 drive torque wrench . 40 to 200 inch pounds that had $99.00 on it . i got it for $79.00.
    The wrench off the truck would be $206. it was brand new never had a socket on it . had all paper work in a case.
    In aviation you need tq wrenches in inch pounds .
    the shop had loads of sockets and wrenches in bins. i saw snap on , mac, matco and craftsman all mixed. there were alot of off brands mixed in great for just carry around boxes.

I just thought i would tell of my find and maybe you to will find some good deals. always talk them down . they mark it up and will take less. if they don't find another shop. and try and get a idea of prices before you go so you know your getting a good deal.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456