BLADE TIMING

/ BLADE TIMING #1  

HEMI05

Tractor
CRAFTSMAN
HOW DO I TIME MY MOWER BLADES?

/ BLADE TIMING #3  
Re: BL;ADE TIMING

Are they hitting each other? If so, they are too long. I never heard of timing mower blades.:confused2: Although I could be wrong.:laughing:

/ BLADE TIMING #4  

What kind of mower?

On my Cman with interference (timed) blades i set them perpendicular to one another. The spindles are splined, so removing the centre bolt i could move the hub and put in in the proper indexed position.

If its not a timed deck, your blades are too long :D

/ BLADE TIMING #5  

I think you had better adjust them so that they never come close to each other. This is how they are organized in my mower.

Attachments

• DSCF1258 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF1258 (Copier).JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 622
  • DSCF1253 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF1253 (Copier).JPG
    253 KB · Views: 629
  • DSCF1255 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF1255 (Copier).JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 1,105
  • DSCF1257 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF1257 (Copier).JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 1,103
   / BLADE TIMING #6  

Maybe by "time" them, he wants to determine how fast they're going?

/ BLADE TIMING #7  

Some of the old mower decks needed to be timed. They nearly always had a notched belt like the timing belt on newer model cars. I haven't seen a mower deck that required timing for a long time. Most are now made where the spindles are staggered ahead to allow a slight overlap. Once in a while these offset decks will leave a strip when the mower blades are worn and the machine is turned sharply.

I'm not suggesting that there are no decks out there that require timing, I just haven't seen one for a long time.

/ BLADE TIMING #8  

I think you had better adjust them so that they never come close to each other. This is how they are organized in my mower.

That deck in your picture looks like it has very high lift blades. It also looks like you don't have many hrs on the deck when the picture was taken. Have you had a chance to run it in higher than normal cutting situation. I'm interested because when mowing 5 or 6" high a lot of blades do not have the lift to pull the grass back up after runing over it with the front wheels in a higher than normal cutting situation.

/ BLADE TIMING #9  

I try to place mine (3 blades) so the blades are: 1) north to south, 2) east to west, and 3) north to south)

BUT since I MMM is belt driven when you start/stop the pulleys will shift.. So they dont end up being in the same positions as when i started..

Brian

/ BLADE TIMING #10  

That deck in your picture looks like it has very high lift blades. It also looks like you don't have many hrs on the deck when the picture was taken. Have you had a chance to run it in higher than normal cutting situation. I'm interested because when mowing 5 or 6" high a lot of blades do not have the lift to pull the grass back up after runing over it with the front wheels in a higher than normal cutting situation.

No I had only used that deck for one summer when the picture was taken, so I'm sure the blades are still in their original position. The blades are the standard blades that came with the deck and, yes, they have high lift. I often have to mow in high grass (sometimes 2 or 3 feet high) and the result, IMHO, is very much the same as with other decks. There are no incidents, I don't have to stop and clear cut grass from the deck, but I have to go over the grass several times and the result is far from perfect. Now I generally use the bush hog for a first cut when the grass is very high.

Attachments

• DSCF1352 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1352 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    470.4 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCF3157 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF3157 (Copier).JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCF3156 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF3156 (Copier).JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 155