Looking for a source for tractor parts.

/ Looking for a source for tractor parts. #1  

Mark_in_NH

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35D w/ 16LA FEL
Does anybody know of or has anybody found a source for buying new or used tractor parts ?
I am looking for a tachometer/ hour meter for my 1988 JD 950. Picture attached.
I had been noticing over the last month that the needle seemed to be acting a bit sticky and then Sunday when I was plowing the yard, I looked down to see that the needle was just floating around on the bottom of the guage.
I spoke to my local dealer and after looking up the part number, he quoted me a price of $189 for the guage assembly /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif and another $16 if I need the cable, Which I may need.
I don't have it in me to just say the heck with it and leave it broken. I have to replace/ repair it, but there has to be a better prce out there than $189. Any Ideas ???????

Attachments

• 232681-DSCF0005copy.jpg
    232681-DSCF0005copy.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 327
   / Looking for a source for tractor parts. #2  
Mark, if I remeber correctly John Miller had a diesel tach/hour meter for probably 1/4 of that price. Bill C

/ Looking for a source for tractor parts. #3  
Are you sure it's not just the cable?
I replaced the cable on my dead 4000+hr meter, and it came back to life! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Looking for a source for tractor parts. #4  
I believe your tractor was made by Yanmar for JD. Why not give them a try, nothing to loose. Has the needle come loose from the shaft? As stated by another poster you may just need a new cable. I would take it apart to see what is actually needed.
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Looking for a source for tractor parts. #5  
It looks in his photo like the needle fell off the shaft.

/ Looking for a source for tractor parts. #6  
I would bet that's fixable with some "JB KWIK" by JB Weld. Same stuff, only kwiker.

/ Looking for a source for tractor parts. #7  
HI mark i was wondering what local dealer in n.h there is a john deere in plaistow nh now may be the same co.
EDT

/ Looking for a source for tractor parts. #8  
Heres a thought on your tach. Measure the diameter of the body of the meter, then go to your local NAPA auto parts store and see what they have available. I have done this with the guages on dozers and had good luck. They will not match the old meter but they will function just as well.

/ Looking for a source for tractor parts. #9  
Mark - Good luck with your search. I would be interested if you find a good source. I also have a 950. I did a google web search for <font color="blue">tractor salvage deere </font> and got LOTS of hits. A couple sites even had lists of tractors currently in salvage. But each one I e-mailed inquiring about certain parts, response came back as not available. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Some did not have a web site listed, but had phone numbers. I haven't tried calling around yet.

/ Looking for a source for tractor parts.
Thanks everybody for your input.
<font color="blue">billfires </font>,
I wonder if his gauge would work and if he still has it avaailable. It could be like just what I am needing.

<font color="orange"> BillG49. </font>
Yes it is defnatly more then the cable. Take a close look at the picture, noticing the location of the white needle.

<font color="blue"> edt, </font>
The local dealer I speak of is Hawkenson Equipment. They have 2 locations. Plymouth, NH (main store) and Meredith, NH (where I bought)

<font color="orange"> Dozernut, </font>
Good idea, I will do that. I am not to conserned about the hour meter being off. I will photograph and record and probably even keep the old gauge. Then when / if, I sell / trade I will have my bases and butt covered.

<font color="green"> BB TX, </font>
I will try the same search and see what my luck brings me. I'll let you know if I hit pay dirt.

Thanks again everybody for your help. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif you guys are great /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Keep the input coming. FEED ME /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<font color="blue"> </font>