Tractor wouldn't start - easy fix !!!!

/ Tractor wouldn't start - easy fix !!!! #1  

Surge

Silver Member
Tractor
Iseki TA 210
Tractor wouldn\'t start - easy fix !!!!

Well, I could not believe it.... I went out to start my tractor, just to do a bit of clean up after a light snow/drifting and couple of days ago and all I got was "buzz - click". /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Then after a couple of trys I got some power for the lights, but no crank. Then nothing... Hooked up a portable battery jump pack I got for Christmas and nothing... Boy was I confused, power, no power, click, buzz, lights, no lights... Checked the fuses.. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thought, well it must be the battery... (It was put in new just a year and a half ago) bad cells or something and I will pull it and get it checked... Messed around for about 20 minutes with all this...

As I started to remove the battery, I started to pull the negative cable and it slipped right off... It was very loose and a sort of slimey substance had built up between the clamp and the post of the battery.... this must have insulated the ground connection of the battery, thus no juice... Cleaned that off and of course, my tractor cranked right up. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

First, certainly glad I discovered it before a good snow... however, any ideas on what might have caused it? Is it something with the battery? Suggested preventive action other than more frequent checking and cleaning of the terminal?

I have never had that happen, to the best of my knowledge with any batteries in my cars...

Curious?

/ Tractor wouldn't start - easy fix !!!! #2  
Re: Tractor wouldn\'t start - easy fix !!!!

<font color="blue">I have never had that happen, to the best of my knowledge with any batteries in my cars... </font>
you must be a youngster -- that was very-y-y common for me years ago -- checking the battery connection was the first thing you checked when you got that oh so familiar click-buzz ... and in the winter, actually fall, I spent almost an entire weekend getting ready for winter. Flush cooling system, put on snow tires, change oil to thinner weight, clean battery connections, fill windshield cleaner, check brakes and fluid, put emergency supplies in trunk ---etc etc --it was a ritual that kept me going at least til Feb -- But then the older cars used to need a lot more regular maintenance than they do now. and they didn't last as long either-

/ Tractor wouldn't start - easy fix !!!! #3  

I agree with Mike; you must be a youngster. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif But fortunately, I don't think that problem is nearly as common as it was 40 years ago. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Tractor wouldn't start - easy fix !!!! #4  

NO-Oxide grease on the battery terminals help immensely to keep corrosion down...Utility companies use it for electrical connections and it is used widespread in the industrial sectors on electrical connections. .

/ Tractor wouldn't start - easy fix !!!! #5  

It used to be easier to push start tractors and trucks too, or tow start them. In my Farmall book collection, often there is a picture of a good running, easy starting tractor with a chain on the back. That way it could be used to pull start the more stubborn ones. Before I got a correct carb on my Farmall, it could get persnickity, which was a real pain since it is hand start. A little tug, and away you go. I remember you mentioning pushing that old JD-L.

It would be hard to bump start a HST tractor. And, with all the automatics and electronics on cars/trucks now, it's pretty nuch out of the question.

My Mom has always kept a pocket knife, crescent wrench, piece of coarse sand paper, and pair of pliers in the glove box. She has helped a lot of people get thier cars started! She's seen some big burly guys just frustrated at thier truck, and had them up and running in no time, to thier sometimes embarassment /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

You know what was fun, when I was a kid, we had a Ford GP(Ford war production Willy's flatfender Jeep). It had a tank under the drivers seat, and no gauge. There was always a "guauge stick" somewhere in that Jeep. And a jerry can on the back carrier /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Tractor wouldn't start - easy fix !!!!

Ok, well I guess it is just corrosion of some sort caused as a chemical reaction between the terminal and the battery... I had cleaned the positive terminal recently as I installed some running lights to the positive battery connection. I just never paid attention to the negative post since it was a ground only...I did not realize that would corrode also, at least enough to cause a barrier to the electrical connection.

I will purchase some of the battery products that address this.. I think there are some felt washers and some red spray that goes on the terminals to minimize this from happening.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Tractor wouldn't start - easy fix !!!! #7  

Surge,

All you need is a wire brush, baking soda and a dab of grease.
Clean the connections with the wire brush. Neutrallize the acid on the terminals and post with baking soda and water. Put it all together and rub grease over the terminals. It's cheap and it works. Hell of a combination. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Billy

Thanks.. that's even better and cost effective..!!!
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Tractor wouldn't start - easy fix !!!! #9  

No-Ox or De-ox works great on aluminum connections, not so sure on the lead battery terminals though.

Thanks, Tomnky & Jerry, will look for the No-OX next time I am at the Hardware or Auto Store....