Farmall Oil

/ Farmall Oil #2  
I believe low ash is the way to go, as I've read. I use Wix filters often. They are among the best. Carquest and Napa are both rebranded Wix.

/ Farmall Oil #3  
I use 15-40 diesel oil in all of my farmalls. Currently Shell Rotella. Any oil of the proper viscosity by today's standards is FAR better than anything that was around in the 40's-60's.

/ Farmall Oil
Thanks for the response. May be a dumb question, but why use diesel oil in a gasoline engine?

/ Farmall Oil #5  
Thanks for the response. May be a dumb question, but why use diesel oil in a gasoline engine?

I purchase the 15-40 in 5 gal. buckets so all engines get the same oil no need to keep several types for different brands of engines.
ken

/ Farmall Oil #6  
Ditto what Ken said. It's a 'diesel' engine oil in the sense that it is rated for the heavier duty cycle of a diesel. It's really not intended to be ONLY for diesel engines, but commonly is. It usually exceeds the API ratings for 'gasoline engine' rated oils. As long as the viscosity is correct, you'll be fine. A straight 30 weight oil was original spec for the Farmalls - there was no multi-grade oil back then.

/ Farmall Oil #7  
Ditto what Ken said. It's a 'diesel' engine oil in the sense that it is rated for the heavier duty cycle of a diesel. It's really not intended to be ONLY for diesel engines, but commonly is. It usually exceeds the API ratings for 'gasoline engine' rated oils. As long as the viscosity is correct, you'll be fine. A straight 30 weight oil was original spec for the Farmalls - there was no multi-grade oil back then.

Had a H Farmall and after 50 years of 30 weight oil the engine was sludged up the valve springs hard to see and engine was burning oil Put in Rotella T 15-40 and soon the engine was running better and oil change wasn't like draining molasses. oil filter wasn't a ball of sludge. Engine easier to start. Reduced the oil burning.
So this is the reason decided to stick with one oil .
The New 4520 still uses John Deere 15-40 Plus 2 to keep the turbo oil flowing.
ken

/ Farmall Oil #8  
Again, ditto what Ken said. The sludge in my 53 Super H was ridiculous. I've also got a 44 A and a 47 AI with copious amounts of sludge. That old non-detergent oil was junk, but the engines are built super tough - that's how they were able to stand it. Modern day oils are leaps and bounds above the old stuff. Don't try to match the original spec just to keep it original. There is much better stuff out there today. I'm partial to either the Shell Rotella T or the Mobil Delvac.

/ Farmall Oil #9  
Thinking my 48 is sludged up too. On the fleet where I work we use Fuchs 1540. Good stuff. Might try that. Dad had always run the straight 30.

But what do you think of this oil additive. We've used it on cars before and it works well. Put it in run it til it gets up to temp or just a hair longer, then drain.

Attachments

• image-3041176611.png
    image-3041176611.png
    894.1 KB · Views: 154
  • image-1370768169.png
    image-1370768169.png
    883.1 KB · Views: 158
   / Farmall Oil #10  
Using straight weight oil in my 8n probably contibuted to the engine valve sticking in the open positon. I had to remove the guide and drive it out..Multi-grade for it now.