john deere 425

/ john deere 425 #1  

dixstir

Silver Member
Tractor
2305 jd cub farmall home made tractor
we have a jd 425 nice tractor but we are having a problem with it getting gas in the pistons some time we have to pull the plugs turn engine over to blow the gas out of cylinders need some advice.

/ john deere 425 #2  
I own this tractor. Just did a cam replacement.

Are you not getting fuel? If so, Fuel filter would be first thought. Then shut off valve and hoses. Then fuel pump. Fuel pump is at tank output.

Are you sure it's gas and not coolant (head gaskets)?

You should have gas in the cylinders, but not left unburnt. Perhaps valves, or push rods. Might even be the cam gear missing a tooth or two and not properly acuating the valves. Models before 1997 or so had a plastic cam gear that will break with age.

Not too bad to change out. Tell the dealer to give you all the parts you need to change out the cam. This would include cam gear, tappets, push rods, water pump, oil pump gear, governor gear, and a bunch of gaskets and seals. They also recommend valve springs and valve seals, but these may not be necessary, and can be changed out with the engine in the tractor. Pull the engine, drain fluids, remove front cover, line up the time marks on the cam gear with the crank shaft, replace the other parts, and put back together. Cost is about $500 if you do it yourself. If all goes well, probably about a 4 hour job.

/ john deere 425
no its not coolent its gas runs perfect but when it sits a few days it loods one or both cylinders with gas carb needle or fuel shut of is not doing its job.

/ john deere 425 #4  
I see. What happens if you turn off the fuel with the valve between uses? Do you still get flooding? I'd also ask in the JD lawn and garden forum.

/ john deere 425 #5  
Is your float sticking or set to high that would cause it to drain gas into the engine to not? My atv did this and it filled some up in the engine and it also went out a vent tube on the carb onto the garage floor. Put a new needle and seat in and fixed it.