paying duty on parts

/ paying duty on parts #1  

gammer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 4500 tlb
here is something I didn't know.. ordered a couple of parts threw Harvest Salvage out of Manitoba Canada, they tract the parts down in the usa for me. I paid in advance plus $50.00 each for shipping because they were coming frome different places, that was fine but when one part came it had a cod on the package with a price of $48.00 on top of the shipping for duty.. I thought there was no duty on tractor parts oh ya it was UPS shipping the items...

could someone shed a light on this

:confused: :mad:

/ paying duty on parts #2  
The only thing I can tell you is there is no duty on parts shipped FROM Canada to the USA. Sounds like you have a question for a Canadian government agency.

/ paying duty on parts #3  
Hi! I think This fee is for duty or brooker service by UPS. I use Postal They charge only $5. for duty service or brookage. All parcels need papers for duty. Duty tax or not. Good luck ! Oldmech

/ paying duty on parts #4  
:confused:
here is something I didn't know.. ordered a couple of parts threw Harvest Salvage out of Manitoba Canada, they tract the parts down in the usa for me. I paid in advance plus $50.00 each for shipping because they were coming frome different places, that was fine but when one part came it had a cod on the package with a price of $48.00 on top of the shipping for duty.. I thought there was no duty on tractor parts oh ya it was UPS shipping the items...

could someone shed a light on this

:confused: :mad:

Parts shipped to Canada are subject to UPS Brokerage charges and Canadian taxes GST, PST or HST. The brokerage fees are dependent on the cost of the items. The taxes usually amount to about 13% of the item cost. There are no duties, but these charges are asessed on the Canadian side. There are no taxes charged on items shipped to the US. What's this "Free Trade" thing???:confused:

/ paying duty on parts #5  
I had a similar $30 UPS customs brokerage fee by UPS on and item I purchased from the USA on EBay. I think it is a UPS rip-off and I don't bid on items shipped from the USA to Canada unless they will ship by the US Postal Service. In that case the Canadian receiving post office charges HST (12% in BC) and duty if applicable. Sometimes they don't bother charging HST and/or duty.

Items shipped on EBay may have duty even if it is shipped from the USA. If items are manufactured in the USA they are duty free. For example, I purchased a Philishave shaver on Ebay and shipped from the USA that had duty because the shaver was made in the Netherlands. If you call Canada Customs with the item they will tell you whether or not duty applies. The rates vary by country of origin.

/ paying duty on parts #6  
I bought some PEX piping from a dealer in NC a few years ago. He had it shipped from the whole seller in Canada directly to me. It got held up in customs for a week or so before I got a call saying I had to pay a broker fee. I called the dealer and he muttered some and said that's a mistake and straightened it out and two days later I had the PEX.

If I remember correctly he said the broker fees are high if you don't have a deal worked out with the shipper in advanced. He had a yearly contract with UPS that waved the fees. But sometimes UPS would try to pass them on to the end user.

I would call the place you bought the part from and tell them. Most likely they can make a call and straighten it out for you.

/ paying duty on parts #7  
I ordered some pistol magazines a few years ago, from S&W. Had them shipped to my office by USPostal Service. Unknown to me, UPS got involved and believed I owed them money. They chased me for months, wanting me to pay a $50 brokerage fee. The answer was a consistent NO and they finally backed off after several letters, copies of receipts, etc.

With the recent lockout of Canada Post employees (finally ordered back to work), a radio talk show had several people slam UPS for their fees and such.

FedEx apparently has the best international prices and the best customer service, at least according to one business caller. :thumbsup: