no electrical power

/ no electrical power #1  

Mean Jean

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L1801 and Massey 65
Good morning and thanks in advance.

Was tilling yesterday when the tractor stalled out from hard ground.
Would not restart, wouldn't even crank.

Tried jumping (thought battery was dead) and wouldn't give a good, hard crank.
Battery shows 12 volts.

My auxiliary lighting will not come on and it's hard wired to the battery.
All 4 fuses on dash appear fine although I will change them anyways, fuses are funny that way.

I will clean all connections and replace ground cable off the battery.
I'm thinking a connection rattled loose from all the tilling and that's why I don't have power.

Please throw additional ideas my way.

/ no electrical power #2  
Only two other things I can think of if the other things do not work. Try to see the back side of the switch, not likely it failed but is an ouside chance. If all else does not work try a good known working battery. The one you have may show voltage but may have an internal problem that prevents it from throwing current at a load.

/ no electrical power #3  
not sure what brand tractor you have, but does yours have a MAIN fuse. two different brands of tractors i owned had a MAIN fuse (60-70 amps) by the starter motor.

/ no electrical power #4  
not sure what brand tractor you have, but does yours have a MAIN fuse. two different brands of tractors i owned had a MAIN fuse (60-70 amps) by the starter motor.

What an excellent point. I have seen those inline fuses on cars/trucks. Just did not know they had made it to tractors. It is a good day, I have learned something new. Thanks.

/ no electrical power
My buddy says it may be a fusible linlk.
Will swap battery when I get home.

/ no electrical power
Status report:
Power is there.
The charge light comes on when I turn the key but the starter will not engage.

What does a main fuse look like?
Where off the starter will it be?

Thanks all

/ no electrical power #7  
i have no idea what kind of tractor you even have .....

also...check groung cable connection on the tractor body.

/ no electrical power #9  
I know my john deere and my kioti both have a main fuse located next to the starter motor. im not sure if kubota does the same thing, but ive seen other posts here that mention other brands having this main fuse also. i cant stress to check connection on ground wire to frame. that seens to be the issue with alot of older units. especially if they are stored outdoors.

/ no electrical power #10  
Check all interlocks such as PTO, seat switch, neutral etc. Don't know what they are on your tractor but there are some.
On my tractor gear has to be in neutral and break depressed to start.